Moi nguoi da duoc accepted vao truong nao roi?

CHúc mừng em Toàn, cuối cùng hi vọng sẽ đọc được cái gì sáng sủa hơn từ xứ town in the middle of nowhere (middletown) hehe.
Còn em nào thích vào williams đọc cái này nha' :D từ John Clayton, một williams grad, viết khá funny và chị cũng thấy có phần đúng:

Quoted:

Friday, February 18, 2005

Is Greg Focker a Williams grad?
Early in the movie Meet the Fockers, a montage shows Greg wearing a Williams College T-shirt. It's a gold shirt with a purple "Williams" straight across the chest. I had one exactly like it, as a Williams student lo those many years ago. Seeing it in the movie I said "Ah!" and realized that the filmmakers were trying to claim Greg went to my alma mater.
So did he?
The personality fits: sensitive, slightly meek, easily intimidated by right-wing nutcase former CIA agents... yup, that's a Williams grad.
Secure in his intellect and degree of ambition (aced his MCATs but became a nurse instead), uncomfortable with his parents' discussion of his sexual history, thoughtful if slightly eccentric... this all works pretty well. To *never* apply to med-school seems a bit much, given the competitiveness and pressure to succeed at Williams, but let's call it close enough.
Has trouble making decisions? Yup.
Background? Judging from Focker Isle, obviously his parents could have afforded the tuition. (Though doesn't he act more like one of us financial aid students?) Williams loves kids of celebrities, so Mom being a bestselling author works. Sex therapist is a stretch, but then again it's a stretch to picture uptight Greg having a sex therapist for a Mom in the first place.
The ninth-place ribbons don't really work. Williams loves a godlike athlete as much as Jack Byrnes. But who knows, maybe he (like me) somehow slipped through the cracks.
You'd think he would have run across more people as bullish as Jack -- sadly, you'd think he would have even roomed with one -- but of course none of them would have been his potential father-in-law. So OK.
And that T-shirt: it's so plain and dull that obviously only a student would acquire one. But here's the problem: when mine wore out, about 1986, I went to Goff's and the Williams Shop to get a new one. And they'd -- hard to believe, yes -- discovered graphics! Mountains, purple cows, entertaining fonts: you could no longer get the plain old "Williams." I see that you can now again, but I could swear there was a period -- which would have to correspond with his dates -- when even Greg would have had to have a little style.
Sorry, Focker, I don't buy it.
Join the discussion at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnclaytonoutreach/
# posted by jc : 5:02 PM

:))

Tại sao em vẫn chưa nhận được tin gì từ Mac nhỉ? :-/ Theo như trên website thì nó phải email mình từ hôm qua rồi chứ, mà Toàn với CM cũng nghe từ Mac cả rồi đúng ko? Chả hiểu thế nào cả...

Chúc mừng Toàn, như ý rồi nhé ;).

It's only 7 in the morning, and already it';s tủning out to be a funny sort of day.

-Thư finaid của Willy đến.
-Em bị Harvard đá. Cũng không ngạc nhiên gì.
-Thư này xuất hiện. Toàn, this is my mystery school as promised:

Dear Ms. Mai Hoang:

Congratulations on your admission to Yale College, Class of 2009! Announcing the good news to a candidate is the absolute best part of my job, and it gives me great pleasure to send you this letter. You have every reason to feel proud of our offer of admission. I know that Yale would be an even richer and more vital place for your being here.

On the folder that holds your admissions materials (sent by post), you will find the words of the late George Pierson, a professor and official historian of the University: "Yale is at once a tradition, a company of scholars, and a society of friends." For over 300 years Yale has celebrated a tradition of intellectual inquiry that began before the United States was founded. In evaluating candidates for admission to Yale College, the Admissions Committee seeks to identify students whose academic achievements, diverse talents, and strength of character will honor this long history of distinguished scholarship--and of friendship. I am thrilled, both for you and for the College, at the prospect of your joining us next fall.

Welcome to Yale!

Richard H. Shaw
Dean of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid

Bây giờ em phải làm gì đây? :)) :)) :))

Khủng khiếp thật! Chi Mai, thế này là phải khao to đấy, mở party mời cả Hà Nội đê :* :x.

Nhưng mà tớ tưởng Chi Mai thích Willy hơn chứ nhỉ?

Vào Yale đi em ạ :D ở đấy trường trông đẹp phết, chỉ ko hay lắm khu xung quanh thôi :D but if u can deal w/ NYC, New Heaven is...quá muỗi :D

It's Harvard's loss btw ;)

-- My

Mọi người ơi, mừng quá, em vừa biết tin Claremont McKenna accepts rùi :D Argggggg, em sắp khóc rùi :(( :(( :((, em ko nói được gì nữa đâu, mọi người chia sẻ cái này với em nhé.

Thu Nguyen,

Here is your admission decision letter.

Thu,

Congratulations! The Admission Committee at Claremont McKenna College has unanimously voted to offer you admission for the Class of 2009, which will enroll here at the end of August. For your class we received 3,730 applications for 265 freshman openings, so you should feel especially proud of your selection by the CMC Admission Committee. This year we experienced a 6% increase in the number of students who applied for admission to CMC. It was by far the most competitive year ever in the history of the college.

Of course, your enrollment here is contingent upon your continuing your high level of academic achievement and course enrollment through your senior year of high school. Please be sure to have your final transcript sent to us in June.

If you have applied earlier for need-based financial aid, your financial aid decision will be sent to you in a few days.

Enclosed is a card which we would like you to complete and return to us. In accordance with the Candidates' Reply Date Agreement of The College Board, your final decision must be mailed to us by May 1, 2005 (postmark date).

To accept our offer of admission, you should send a check or money order made out to Claremont McKenna College for $500.00 along with this card. This non-refundable commitment deposit will reserve your place in the freshman class. We ask that you notify us promptly in the event that you must withdraw, so that your place may be given to someone else seeking admission.

Please refer to the enclosed booklet, Welcome to CMC, for more information about your admission to CMC. We have also set up a web site just for admitted students: http://admitted.claremontmckenna.edu. This site features an on-line forum where you may communicate with other admitted students and with current CMC students. Periodic updates and reminders will also be featured on this site. You should use the same I.D. number and password that we sent to you in mid-March.

Also enclosed is a Housing Questionnaire. If you plan to attend CMC, please complete the questionnaire candidly and thoughtfully so that we understand your residence and roommate preferences. Return the questionnaire along with your $500 commitment deposit. If you have any questions or if we may be of any additional assistance to you, Thu, please be sure to contact us.

Our faculty, students, and staff join me in congratulating you! We are looking forward to welcoming you to Claremont McKenna College.

Sincerely,

Richard C. Vos
Vice President,
Dean of Admission
and Financial Aid

Một lần nữa chúc mừng Chi Mai, Toàn, Bảo Thư và cả các em khác nữa. Còn em nào đang chờ kết quả, my fingers crossed for you. Bình thường chị ít vào đây, nhưng mấy hôm nay một ngày lượn qua lượn lại mấy lần để nghe tin các em mà vui lây :p.

CM: Nếu chị là em thì có thể sẽ vào Yale vì academics. Cả East Asian Studies lẫn Political Science ở Yale đều thuộc vào hàng finest ở Mỹ.

Tuy nhiên, có một điểm có thể với em bây giờ không quan trọng, nhưng lại có ảnh hưởng lâu dài (đến intellectual development & career outlook chẳng hạn). Theo nhiều người trong giới academia thì Yale đại diện cho trường phái mainstream & conservative hơn (while Harvard is more liberal, generally speaking). Điều này phản ánh rất rõ qua curriculum & các loại sách ra đời từ lò xuất bản Yale. Tùy theo sở thích và định hướng tương lai của em mà em có thể lựa chọn.

Các anh chị ở Williams có thể nói thêm cho em biết về this aspect ở Willy.

Còn Swarthmore thì nổi tiếng liberal (cả trường chỉ có 5 republicans), nên cả academic lẫn social life so với Yale đều có rất nhiều khác biệt. Chị có 2 người bạn ở Yale cũng đồng ý như vậy. Em thấy personality của mình phù hợp với môi trường nào hơn thì nên vào đấy.

Có người hỏi chị tại sao trong financial aid package của Swarthmore lại có khoản loan, chị trả lời chung cho mọi người:

Lý do chính không phải vì Swarthmore không đủ tiền để cho full scholarship, mà là vấn đề incentive. Chẳng hạn 15,000 loan của chị so với tổng chi phí chỉ chiếm chưa đến 10%. Hầu như tất cả students on financial aid ở đây đều phải chịu khoản vay này, vì trường muốn khuyến khích SV học tiếp lên cao học, và sinh viên quốc tế về nước mình sau khi tốt nghiệp. Cái này thể hiện philosophy & policy của trường.

Còn ai có câu hỏi gì chị sẽ cố gắng trả lời tiếp.

HM

CM, nếu em thich Poli Sci và Law thì đi Yale đi, vào Yale Law School sau này thì vô cùng hoành tráng ;)

Chị My tâm lý quá. Em cũng đang suy nghĩ về việc đấy. Nhưng em nghĩ em sẽ chọn Yale thôi. Parental Contribution: $0 :)

Em không định đi học để theo nghiệp chính khách, nhưng em cũng dự tính công việc tương lai của mình liên quan đến policies nhiều hơn là business. Em cũng đã suy nghĩ rất nhiều về sự khác biệt giữa Harvard và Yale khi đăng kí. Một trong những cái em thích nhất về Swat chính là sự liberal trong suy nghĩ, nhưng nếu dựa vào academics và finaid thì em vẫn sẽ chọn Yale. Theo em biết thì Yale cũng không đến nỗi conservative quá đâu. Mainstream thì đúng, nhưng với người VN mình để bị ảnh hưởng tư tưởng đặc Mỹ cũng không phải dễ :D

Chị My có quen ai ở Yale không giới thiệu cho em với! Em nghe nói năm nay ngoài em còn 1 chị ở Sing vào Yale, không biết có liên lạc được kô :/

Bảo Thư: Congrats dear! I knew you'd do it :x :x Now are you gonna tell daddy yourself, or should I break the news? ;;) I'll email you this Saturday, k? :* BTW, the CMC is in California, right? You'll be so faraway :((

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Now I believe you've made an informed and mature decision. Very happy for you :)

2 người bạn chị ở Yale đều sắp tốt nghiệp rồi, nhưng để chị lục lại email của chúng nó rồi gửi cho em nhé.

...công việc tương lai của mình liên quan đến policies nhiều hơn là business..

Anh rất thích câu này của Mai, tuổi trẻ tài cao phải thế chứ ;). Đất nước chúng ta đang rất rất thiếu những người như thế này... Thay mặt Đảng và Chính phủ anh xin đặt trọn niềm tin vào những thế hệ trẻ như em và các bạn :D...

Nguyễn Bảo Anh Thư đã viết:
Mọi người ơi, mừng quá, em vừa biết tin Claremont McKenna accepts rùi :D Argggggg, em sắp khóc rùi :(( :(( :((, em ko nói được gì nữa đâu, mọi người chia sẻ cái này với em nhé.

Thu Nguyen,

Here is your admission decision letter.

Thu,

Congratulations! The Admission Committee at Claremont McKenna College has unanimously voted to offer you admission for the Class of 2009, which will enroll here at the end of August. For your class we received 3,730 applications for 265 freshman openings, so you should feel especially proud of your selection by the CMC Admission Committee. This year we experienced a 6% increase in the number of students who applied for admission to CMC. It was by far the most competitive year ever in the history of the college.

Of course, your enrollment here is contingent upon your continuing your high level of academic achievement and course enrollment through your senior year of high school. Please be sure to have your final transcript sent to us in June.

If you have applied earlier for need-based financial aid, your financial aid decision will be sent to you in a few days.

Enclosed is a card which we would like you to complete and return to us. In accordance with the Candidates' Reply Date Agreement of The College Board, your final decision must be mailed to us by May 1, 2005 (postmark date).

To accept our offer of admission, you should send a check or money order made out to Claremont McKenna College for $500.00 along with this card. This non-refundable commitment deposit will reserve your place in the freshman class. We ask that you notify us promptly in the event that you must withdraw, so that your place may be given to someone else seeking admission.

Please refer to the enclosed booklet, Welcome to CMC, for more information about your admission to CMC. We have also set up a web site just for admitted students: http://admitted.claremontmckenna.edu. This site features an on-line forum where you may communicate with other admitted students and with current CMC students. Periodic updates and reminders will also be featured on this site. You should use the same I.D. number and password that we sent to you in mid-March.

Also enclosed is a Housing Questionnaire. If you plan to attend CMC, please complete the questionnaire candidly and thoughtfully so that we understand your residence and roommate preferences. Return the questionnaire along with your $500 commitment deposit. If you have any questions or if we may be of any additional assistance to you, Thu, please be sure to contact us.

Our faculty, students, and staff join me in congratulating you! We are looking forward to welcoming you to Claremont McKenna College.

Sincerely,

Richard C. Vos
Vice President,
Dean of Admission
and Financial Aid

trường này rất đẹp đấy !!! Nó nằm trong 1 khu gồm hình như tất cả là 6 trường như Pomona College,Claremont Graduate Uni... Khu này tuy gần town nhưng khá yên tĩnh. Chúc mừng em !!!

Hic, vừa phát hiện ra là cái directory có địa chỉ của chúng nó chị để ở VN.

Anyway, 1 đứa là Quindlen Krovatin, son of the acclaimed Newsweek columnist Anna Quindlen. You could probably look him up, and tell him you went to the same high school with Du Xuanmei from Swarthmore.

Còn đứa kia, hic, chị chỉ nhớ tên tiếng Tàu của nó, nên bây giờ có trời mới look up được. Lại phải hỏi loanh quanh thêm :p.

To em Mai: em add nick YM của anh Tùng - testdasi -> hỏi anh í -> chị được EA Yale là bạn học của ảnh ^_^!!!

Võ Thế Minh đã viết:
trường này rất đẹp đấy !!! Nó nằm trong 1 khu gồm hình như tất cả là 6 trường như Pomona College,Claremont Graduate Uni... Khu này tuy gần town nhưng khá yên tĩnh. Chúc mừng em !!!
Ừ, vừa rồi qua Cali chị cũng cứ tiếc hùi hụi vì không đi thăm được campus của CMC. Kiểu này em Thư lại phải chụp nhiều ảnh để mọi người chiêm ngưỡng và ghen tị :D.

Chắc mình sẽ vẫn đi trường mình thích nhất (campus + astrophy) CC
Hopefully mom will change her mind, and things work out ok for me n' my school. Never thought it would be that serious.

Back
Bên trên