04 07 - Let's get it started

cho em hỏi trường St.Lawrence là trường như thế nào ạ?
financial aids ra sao? đã có học sinh Việt nam nào học ở đấy chưa ạ?

em chưa từng nge tên trường này bao giờ
mà mụch đích của ông Dean sang Vn lần này là gì ạ?
có phải là phỏng vấn như lần trước Lafayette kô ạ?

(khiếp, dạo này anh Bờm "xanh" thế :D)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Hic, lên website của trường mà xem Béo ơi :)) Năm nay có chị Thu Phương và Trần Lan vào St. Lawrence đấy :D A good school - that's all I can say

chị đây :D
vừa tiếp ông Eric ấy xong, đến nhà chị ăn cơm :D

st.law nói chung như cái trường liberal khác, chị chẳng biết em thik cái gì nên ko biết giới thiệu gì cả :D dù là ở gần canada nhưng ko lạnh lắm, thậm chí năm vừa rồi chỗ Canton ấy còn ấm nhất NY state. nếu em là outdoorsy type of girl thì hợp, ở đây forest, moutain, lake, skiing đủ cả, học môi trường là tốt nhất, tiếng Pháp cũng thik vì hay đc đi Canada, trong town canton thì đi bộ là đc, trong trường cũng vậy. hiệu trưởng rất đú, đi motorcycle. đb là first year program kiểu như toàn bộ freshman chia thành mấy nhóm 30 người rồi take class cùng nhau, sống trong một resident hall, có 2 bác giáo sư dạy group đấy cũng làm advisor luôn. ở đây mỗi tội ko có shopping, sắp làm xong cái science building mới nên học mấy cái ngành hóa sinh môi trường rất tiện. town có 1 cái groceries, 2 pharmacists, vài restaurant. gái với giai thì bt tại vì hấu hét là bọn NY state nó lên đây học, black có 4%, intel 7% ko diverse lắm. Mặc dù là ko yêu cầu bài why stlaw nhưng mà cái phần short answer trong form đấy hơi bị quan trọng. hình như mai ông ý present ở IIE chị chưa confirm dc giờ nên sáng mai mấy bé chịu khó gọi cho IIE nhé :D

Nếu thực sự thik trường thì email cho họ sẽ connect với chị Tước senior rất helpful và talkative !! :D:D

This is a very appealing articles of Why Dartmouth, prospective applicants tham khảo and enjoy nhé. :)>-

The Case for Dartmouth
By Michael Belinsky '08, Staff Columnist
Published on Thursday, April 20, 2006
ARTICLE TOOLS
Email this article
Send a letter to the editor
Print this article
Prospies: Here is why you should come to Dartmouth:

Our campus is beautiful. Isolated from the pollution and over-population of city life, our campus offers the opportunities of a close-to-nature environment, while detracting little from the advantages of city life. You can hike up gorgeous mountains, ski down world-class slopes, tan on the Green, or do a million other things you could never do in a city.

Our environment is safe. At the University of Pennsylvania one year, a girl's wallet was stolen during orientation. (I wonder if she matriculated!) At Yale, your bikes will be stolen. (My bike's wheels, gears and handlebars were taken right off the locked bike, and I was just visiting!) At Dartmouth, however, our Student Assembly will give you a bike for free, and let you do whatever you want with it! At Duke and Harvard … well, you've read the papers.

Our professors are incredible. At Harvard, "The Most Important Scholar in the World" will mumble to an audience of 1,000 -- yourself included -- then rush off to important meetings. (I've fallen asleep at one of those "world- famous" lectures.) At Dartmouth, we do not even have classrooms that can seat that many people! Professors come here to teach you, not to become important. Unfortunately, some are so incredible that they cannot avoid fame. Our economics professor David Blanchflower was just appointed to the England equivalent of the Federal Reserve Board -- yet, he told his Econ 10 students that he is putting them first; and he has kept his word.

Our girls are hot. And, although they refuse to date me, I am sure that you -- the "new thing on campus" -- will have a much better chance!

Our students are … well, you. Think of your accomplishments and ambitions. Now take that drive and those brains and multiply them by the resources, professorial attention and opportunities that only Dartmouth can offer. That is what our students have become: all-star athletes, rappers, Rhodes Scholars, Fulbright Scholars, movie stars, professors; in short, everything and anything. We send more students to Columbia Law School than Columbia University itself. I am sure that we have more Dartmouth students at Goldman Sachs than any other college or university. We offer the intensity of a Cornell or M.I.T. education without their world- famous suicide rate and suicide dome, respectively. We have access to Ivy League libraries and opportunities without the Ivy League pomp and circumstance. We also send students to the best universities abroad; while none are quite as intense and incredible as Dartmouth, they offer the chance to learn the languages and cultures of a quite different world.

Our clubs are friendly and our teams and renowned. You can hone your speaking skills by joining one of the nation's strongest debate teams, or hone your writing skills by writing for one of only two undergraduate law journals in the nation. (The other one is at Berkley, which you're more than welcome to attend if sitting in 500-person lecture halls fits your idea of learning.) Our newspaper, the world's oldest college daily, is not too shabby, either.

Our alumni are an influential and tight-knit community that can open doors to all corridors of power. They can get you jobs and counsel you about the world at large. They can jump-start your career or simply offer you a place to stay. They are CEOs (Goldman Sachs and General Electric, for example), senior partners in law firms, project managers in large companies; in general, they are the movers and shakers of this world.

Dartmouth is you. Your dreams become realities here. I wanted to create a Model United Nations conference at Dartmouth, and I did. You can shape the campus here to a greater extent than you could at most other institutions, especially the larger, older universities. If you are the movers and shakers of this world, we promise the Dartmouth experience will transform you into better men and women, just as you will transform Dartmouth as you lead it into the future. In short, you are the future of Dartmouth.

Dartmouth Coll có fai liberal arts ko hả Bờm, hay lại như Cornell với Georgetown, fai vào school of ji đó luôn?

Btw, màu xanh nhạt quá :D fai xanh thế này này :)>-

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Phương: The definition of a university is not a school that has different branches that students enter, rather its a school which contains graduate schools along side its undergrad department. Whereas, in a LAC, only undergrad enroll. To elucidate upon this matter, a university could have different schools for its college, but it doensn;t have to. But there is one thing a university must have, they must have grad schools.That said, Dartmouth college is a university despite its name Dartmouth "College". However, Dartmouth is much more well known for its undergrad-friendly environment, reputed to be on the same par with Princeton, and at the forefront of american universities in undergrad teaching. So, although being a university on paper, it carries an undergrad breath. This is what makes Dartmouth special for rising high school seniors- A UNIVERSITY WITH A TRUE LAC SENSE.
Hey, how about this green.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
hey, sao em search ra mấy cái college, thì có trường nó lại có cả port grad nữa, là sao ạ :-/

-__- mấy anh mấy chị cứ tô màu dọa các em ý nhỉ? ^0^ Trường tao logo là nuts chẳng nhẽ con bẽ lại "Let's go nuts!" :)) cho nó màu cờ sắc áo của trường :D

Còn ve St.Lawrence thì có chị Phương ở trên app rồi đấy :D nhưng mà chị nghĩ St.Lawrence contribute mà khai dươi 6-7K chắc cũng hơi khó. :)p kinh nghiệm sương máu của đứa khai có 5K)

St. Lawrence có grad về Education thôi :D (hôm nay đi nghe được) :D
Con Đùi vào trường nào chưa khai báo à :-?

I am sure that we have more Dartmouth students at Goldman Sachs than any other college or university.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding the Dartmouth article, first of all, the dude was trying to make a joke when he wrote this, no? If yes, should have made it less obsecure since few would get it unless they are the type who pay attention to details.

second, I don't find the article that well-written as an selling intro to Darthmouth - at least as an outsider I don't. I mean, come on, it's just the recitation of many many disputatble facts known already by the students. Any other elite LACs could make up a list similar to this fairly easily. A good intro should be funny or at least has a friendly tone so the readers can enjoy it. This sounds more like a rigid statement of school pride.

@ anh Long: What do u mean by paying attention to details. Goldman Sachs is the world't biggest and most powerful investment bank. Our vietnamese fellows might not know that at the moment, but once they arrive in the US, surely Goldman will be very familiar to them. And beside,s he is writing this article to advertise Dartmouth to a large proportion of students, mainly residing in the US, so they are expected to know about Goldman Sachs already.

I, personally, didn't think this article to be full of chiches that are pervasive in colleges, brochures today. Cliches would sound smth like: Diverse student body, top class academic program, leading professors in their field. This article gave very clear examples of different features that the school has to offer, like campus safety( outshine its Ivy peers), tight-knit community and the opportunity to do stuffs that you are never able to do when you were a high school student. Not everything has to be funny to be successful to captivate people's attention.

Of course, I could be biased, because I will be going to Dartmouth next year, but does this just show that I'm also another victim of Dartmouth's pride. Don't you think the school must have something special to itself that makes me go so crazy over it.

Nevertheless, no matter what I say, or other people may comment, it is up to future applicants to judge Dartmouth. I am just offering an article, partly to show you how deeply I'm in love withthe school, and partly to assist you in your school's selection process. So if you love the school, dont hesitate to contact me 04-07, cuz I sure want to see some of you at Hanover next year. Peace.....

I SO BLEED GREEN

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
This is to give 04-07 another perspective of admission.

The Secret World of College Admissions
By Patricia Alex, Sunday January 30, 2005

Forget "The Apprentice." For real competition, check out "The Applicant" - a contest in which high-achieving Asian kids from New Jersey's moneyed suburbs jockey for the Ivy League.

Consider the case of an Asian girl at a competive high school. Her grades and test scores were top-notch, she ran cross-country and she was an accomplished pianist. Still, her prospects seemed uncertain.

The problem: her all-too-familiar profile.

She didn't, and couldn't, stand out among her peers. She ranked in the top 20 percent in the highly competitive school where nearly a fifth of the students are Asian.

"We needed to get her away from the other Asian kids,'' said Robert Shaw, a private college consultant hired by the girl's family.

Shaw advised bold steps: The family transferred to another high school. There she was a standout: The only Asian kid in the school, she was valedictorian for the Class of 2004.

Next came an extracurricular makeover, one a bit out of character for an Asian girl, said Shaw. "We had to create a contrarian profile,'' Shaw said. "We put her in places where she could stand out."

The girl was accepted to Yale and to Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she is now a freshman.

Shaw helped the family play the admissions game. The ethnic, geographic and racial profiling that goes into assembling classes at the nation's top-tier colleges and universities is the worst-kept secret in American higher education.

"It's a very well-known thing but colleges don't want to talk about it,'' Shaw said. "It is certainly not a meritocracy, it's about being the right type of kid."

More than grades

With a huge pool of outstanding applicants, admissions at the top schools long ago stopped being about the numbers.

Good statistics alone are not the key to the Ivy League, said Willis J. "Lee" Stetson Jr., dean of admissions at the University of Pennsylvania. "In a really competitive pool, it's the extracurricular stuff that makes the difference."

Penn gets almost 19,000 applications for 2,400 seats a year, and the odds are no better at other top-tier schools. So how does a kid stand out in a large pool of students who have 1,500s on their SATs and 4.0 grade-point averages?

The children of alumni usually get preference, as do athletes. Admissions officers look for geographic balance as well, courting a mix of international and American students.

And, even as the nation's highest courts have ruled against racial and ethnic quotas, a de facto system remains in place as admissions officers strive for "balance" and the inclusion of so-called "underrepresented" populations, like blacks and Latinos.

"If you give me a Hispanic kid with a 1,350 (SATs), I can get that kid into every Ivy League college, or an African-American kid with 1,380 to 1,400,'' Shaw said. "But give me an upper-middle-class Caucasian or Asian with a 1,600, and I can't guarantee anything."

Recently, an Asian client of Shaw's from suburban Philadelphia got "wait-listed" at Yale despite a 1,600 SAT score and a 4.1 grade point average. Shaw, a partner in the Long Island-based Ivy Success, honed his pragmatism while working in the admissions office at Penn.

A 'hidden agenda'

The schools deny quotas exist. On its Web site, Princeton University says: "We do not have a profile of the ideal applicant, nor do we map out a checklist of all the particular 'types' of students we plan to admit in a given year." Asians make up 13 percent of the Princeton enrollment.

Lauren Robinson-Brown, Princeton's director of communications, said admissions staffers consider all applications without "criteria such as ethnicity or geographic region."

But admissions counselors and parents who've been through the process say they know differently. "I'm not saying that colleges have racial quotas, but I imagine that most schools want representation of different cultural and ethnic groups,'' said Jonni Sayres, a counselor in Englewood and Teaneck.

A bulge in the college-age population has made admission harder for everyone, said Stetson of Penn, which just filled almost half its incoming freshman class through early admission.

Although less than 4 percent of the population, Asians make up about 14 percent of the Ivy League. And the numbers are even higher for schools located in cities, where Asians generally gravitate. At Penn, Asians make up almost 23 percent of the student body, 16 percent at Harvard.

Still, because they are in such a highly competitive subgroup, they are admitted to the Ivies at a lower rate than other groups, with about one in every 15 gaining entry compared with an average of one in 10, Shaw said.

As a group, Asians score the highest on standardized tests - a testament to a cultural emphasis on scholarship - and generally have high grade-point averages.

When California eliminated racial preferences - set-asides for underrepresented groups - Asian enrollment skyrocketed in the venerable University of California system. Although Asians are 13 percent of the state's population, they make up 42 percent of students of the campus at Berkeley, 38 percent at Los Angeles and 61 percent at Irvine.

Some counselors advise Asian students to apply to top-tier schools outside urban centers, such as Duke University in North Carolina or Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, where they will still be considered a minority.

"One of my biggest obligations as a counselor is to get across to the parents that they need to look at areas who will appreciate them more," said Sayres, the Teaneck counselor.

Politics of admission

The glut of A-students presents a dilemma for top-tier universities that want their classes to mirror the broader society. Such institutions are more likely to "attribute a higher degree of importance to a student's race or ethnicity," according to a soon-to-be-released report from the National Association for College Admissions Counseling.

Shaw and others say the system can work against individuals in a highly competitive pool like Asians. There are also complaints that Asians are counted as minorities by colleges but don't receive minority preferences at many top-tier schools. Others balk at an analysis that views admissions as a competition among minorities - that blacks and Latinos take what otherwise would be places occupied by Asians. They note that whites remain the majority at most selective colleges.

There is concern, as well, that almost 30 distinct groups are lumped together under the Asian rubric, from the fifth-generation Japanese-American to the entrepreneur from India to the poor Hmong farmer newly arrived stateside. Despite their variety, there is a belief that the bar is set higher for the entire ethnic group.

"The perception is that there are so many who are qualified that they have to be a little higher up on the ladder," said Lance Izumi, who studies education at the Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy, a California think tank.

Shaw and others have no doubt that the perception is a reality when it comes to admissions. They worry that the trend is creating upper-limit quotas for Asians at the best schools, such as those imposed on Jews prior to World War II when they began to break into the Ivy League after decades of overt anti-Semitism.

The politics of admissions can be bewildering and disheartening, especially for parents. "They are very disappointed because they've done everything right,'' said Sayres. "For the Asian students, especially the Korean students, they lose faith if their child doesn't get into the Ivies. And it's just not possible anymore. There are too many kids and too few places."

anh nghĩ chú chưa hiểu tại sao anh lại nghĩ là thằng đấy nó make joke khi nó viết thế. chú để ý là nó viết thế này:

"I am sure that we have more Dartmouth students at Goldman Sachs than any other college or university. "

cái này có thể hiểu theo nghĩa là dartmouth graduates more students to GS than any other college or university. nếu hiểu theo nghĩa đấy thì rõ ràng là thằng này sai. say, that might be true, but even so how can he be sure?

nhưng nếu hiểu theo nghĩa là "darthmouth graduates more 'dartmouth' students to GS than any other college or university" thì nó sẽ thành cái joke. bởi vì tất nhiên là dartmouth graduates more dartmouth students than any other college/university to any firm/grad school rồi. nhưng cái nếu nó là cái joke thì lại rất obsecure + out of place. thế cho nên anh mới không biết có phải là joke hay không

Anh long ah, câu này là nói send Dartmouth grad(undergrad) to investment banks ý anh. Em công nhận với anh câu này nó hơi exxagerate quá nhưng chắc nếu em nói là Dartmouth has a very close relationship with investment banks thì cái này sẽ 0 quá đúng 0. Ahf, nói đến cái này, nếu em nào thích đi vào finance và banking thì Dartmouth is one of the top choice out there for undergrad. Nó consistenly ranks in the top 10 by the Wall Street journal as feeder schools for banking, along side with Amherst, Swarthmore, Williams and several other schools whose names are not on the top of my head. Yeah, so I agreed that there could be some slight exxageration from the articles, nevertheless, it still depicts a picture of what Dartmouth is about. And still it is quite comprehensible why the guy was mentioning Goldman Sachs instead of other bulge bracket banks, because Goldman's CEO is a Dartmouth alumni.To recap, Dartmouth is a great school. Though it is a long shot, it is really worth it. GO BIG GREEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Now enough with Dartmouth, lets get back to admission secret. Hehe

First time here...

Các anh chị ơi cho em hỏi, thứ 7 này em thi TOEFL vậy có ai có thể làm ơn cho em ý kiến là nên gửi điểm cho trường nào không ạ?

Back
Bên trên