Studying Abroad - What can you gain?

Nguyễn Vân Mai
(nvanmai)

I raise this topic not just to ask you guys about the benefits of studying abroad. They seem to be so obvious. This topic is not new as well, as I saw it in some other forums (in Vietnamese), but here I would like us to discuss more deeply to the other side of its benefits.

For those who are studying abroad, it is not too bious to say that you have more advantages than those studying back home. Wandering around our Forum, I saw alot of discussion topics about the nonsenses, problems about low intellectual standards of the people, lack of creativity, lack of civilization or lack of union, etc in our country - Vietnam. (typical examples are the uncreative logo for Vietnamses Tourism or the honourable name of Golden Girl was awarded to the unsuitable person, etc). But instead of making things better, I realised that we just tried to criticize who has to take responsibility for all these things. Don't you think that it is because of the environment that you are living in?

For all of us who are studying abroad, wherever you are, US or UK, in Europe or in Asia, do you think you are learning in a better education system than Vietnam? Also, it is not too proud to say that you guys are our country's pride. But have you ever asked yourself a question, are you really better / more creative than those studying back home or it is just because you have a chance to study in a better environment? I would like to leave the answer to all of you. ;)

Coming back to the main point of this topic, "studying abroad - what can you gain" , for me, they are:
+ Know how to live and work in the union / team building
+ Know how to catch oppotunity because "If you miss this window of opportunity, it's almost impossible to do later in life"
+ Gain infinite knowledge
+ Broaden my horizons. Life in Vietnam is pretty much the same day in, day out. Life overseas makes you see your everyday world in a whole new light.
+ More importantly, you know who you are and what are your limits, know how to overcome obstacles you've never met before, know how far can you push yourself and how independent are you.

And you? This is time to share your thoughts ")

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Jeez, theres so much that I've learnt here about me, myself, my life and life in general within just almost 2 years. I think those things are most important things to me.

Well, first of all, I gotta say life in a foreign country with no family, no friends, no nothing is tough. It really is to me. So many things have happened. But after all this years, Im just so greateful that I had this wonderful opportunity to come here and study. I almost feel like I was born here again, the second time in US. There r so many extraordinary ppl here that I look up to, and have inspired and empowered me so so much, helped me become more of myself, whole, new and confident.

Well, to answer ur question, sis Mai, I really think that belive it ot not, u ARE effected by the living enviroment one way or another. Well, America taught me to think independently, fight for what you belive in, for what you want, and always do your best, no more and no less.

Up till now, for the first time ever, in my whole life, did I realize how much my family means to me. If its not that them been there for me 100% then I would've never ever get through the hard time, and have the strength to move forward. Yup, I love them, and thankful to them!

And I learnt to love my country, it doesnt matter if its good, or its bad, its still my country. Our country is so damn poor, I didnt know that before at all, can u imagine that?!? I thought we're like one of the tigers or dragons of Asia as TV and newspapers always said :)) Oh gosh, and our leaders are just totally suck, ok? Well, most of them. I feel like after VN became an independent country, noone has really stood up and done something to our country, our ppl, or they just havent done enough. Or is that just me that being pessimistic here? Hehe, guess so. And what really sad is, Vietnamese youth doesnt seem to really care about it at all. Just a very small number of people that ambitous and determined, and that sucks! Our country depends on us! Well, I guess theres nothing wrong with ppl that wanna have fun, and live their own lives, but I mean, c'mon, how the hell u can be happy when u know that ur country is one of the poorest ones in this damn whole WORLD?!? I mean, I just cant, its awful!

Yup, thats quite everything that I've learnt since I first got here in America. The only thing I hate is that my English still sucks though, hehe, cant help it. Oh well, it doesnt matter anyway, it'll get better soon with a little help of time, I guess. Hope u guys can still figgure out wut the hell Im talking about :D

Well, it doesnt seem to me that ppl here learnt to be open up about themselves and freely speak up their mind :embarasse Or is that ppl just got fed up with this kinda question? No hard feeling sis Mai, dont mean nothing harm. To me, this is a good question ;)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Openmindedness is what I learn in U.S.
I was happy at the way I accepted people as who they were ( including me)
And like Ms Trang, I recognized how much I love my family.
Same problem here: my English sucks, which limited my ability to compete and win.
I also reocgnized I was actually unique and warm-hearted.
At the same time, I bitterly recognized many ò my weakesses.

It is not a new topic but still hot and discussable.... Life is not as easy as I have ever imagined, especially living by myself without family, closed friends in a foreign country :(( . Then I realised how valuable the time of living with my family is. Pesonally, I have gained many qualifications since I came to Holland, and been learning some things which I have never had chance to learn before :biggrin: . For instance, I raised my teamwork, improved my English and several skills. I also got use to live and overcome difficulties alone. And of course, the way I make friends and deal with them is completely different from the past.

Foreign people only know about Vietnam by American war. Apart from it, they have no idea about our country. :frown: ..And I have no solution for it...

Anyway, I always support for my friends who ask me whether they should go to study abroad or not, because I think we can receive a lot of benefits if we know how to optimize it.

Trương Hồ Hải Minh đã viết:
Foreign people only know about Vietnam by American war. Apart from it, they have no idea about our country. :frown: ..And I have no solution for it...

QUOTE]

Yup, they know about Vietnam by Vietnam War. Somehow, Vietnam has become an adjective with a negative meaning. They refer to Vietnam era with Watergate, political assassination, president resigning etc. So let them know Vietnam means more than that. You can do that by writing papers on Vietnam, by talking to people or simply by giving people Vietnamese postcards. They then realize how beautiful and peaceful this country is.
Studying overseas, I realize how much I love Vietnam :)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
I am willing to introduce my country to anyone, who are interested in knowing it. Personally, I think the best way is living, studying and performing as well as I can so that foreign people will naturally understand how Vietnamese they are. It is much better than introducing through postcard, movies, etc....By those things, travel agencies could do much more effectively and efficiently than anyone of us.

That may be off the topic.
But will you please talk just a littlt about Holland, about people + school + life styles.
What did you experience was different from your imagination when you were at home?

It is not a new topic but still hot and discussable.... Life is not as easy as I have ever imagined
life would be easy if i was not going to do Biology exam on this Friday or i won a £10 millions lottery and be a millionaire

More confidende is wht I gain during the time I am here. I still remember the first time I stood face to face to the officer at Healthrow airport, I was so nervous and afraid of not understanding what they told me to do. To look back that time, I realize that I have grown a lot.
Thank God for that

I've learnt that nothing is impossible. People could do more things than they thought.
I've learnt how to live under pressure. The point is always being optimistic.
I've learnt how to face problems myself, do not need to bother others and make them worried.
I've learnt that how hard I try, nothing could be perfect so had to accept the fact.
I've learnt that how lucky I am to be a VNeses.
I've learnt that be nice to people though sometimes they are not nice to you

.. I have learnt how to delude myself ..
.. I have learnt how to dissimulate my feeling ..
.. I have learnt how to keep tears inside instead of crying out ..
.. I have learnt how harsh my life is, how rough my path is going to be ..

.. I have learnt how to accept the misery and tolerate the pains ..

.. after all, the last thing I have learnt so far is ... when to cry and when to smile ...

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
One thing i learned from studying abroad is a change in perspective.

Instead of believing in everything i've heard in the media when i was in Vietnam, i became more skeptic and suspicious and would find out on my own whether if what they said in the television in newspaper was correct after going to America.

I learned to be independent. Instead of pasively being imposed others' ideas and ideology on me, i tried to learn it on my way with my rationality and thinking. Instead of letting other people getting things done for me, i took care of everything, school, classes, college application, lifestyles etc.

I'm learning to escape the "box-thinking" that many people have, looking things at different angles instead of a fixed point (generally caused by culture)

And I learnt to love my country, it doesnt matter if its good, or its bad, its still my country. Our country is so damn poor, I didnt know that before at all, can u imagine that?!? I thought we're like one of the tigers or dragons of Asia as TV and newspapers always said Oh gosh, and our leaders are just totally suck, ok? Well, most of them. I feel like after VN became an independent country, noone has really stood up and done something to our country, our ppl, or they just havent done enough. Or is that just me that being pessimistic here? Hehe, guess so. And what really sad is, Vietnamese youth doesnt seem to really care about it at all. Just a very small number of people that ambitous and determined, and that sucks! Our country depends on us! Well, I guess theres nothing wrong with ppl that wanna have fun, and live their own lives, but I mean, c'mon, how the hell u can be happy when u know that ur country is one of the poorest ones in this damn whole WORLD?!? I mean, I just cant, its awful!

I learned this too.

And similar to many other oversea students, i've learned how hard life can be, how frustrated when you're linguistically handicapped, even can't properly speak, how lonely one must feel being in a different culture and a different language, and many other furious and depressing things.

Nevertheless it's worth a life i'd say; like spice, although it's hot and burns ur tongue, but without it, the food'd be tasteless.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Instead of believing in everything i've heard in the media when i was in Vietnam, i became more skeptic and suspicious and would find out on my own whether if what they said in the television in newspaper was correct after going to America.
that makes me surprised me. I think I got more info from different perspectives in VN than in the US.

I learned a lot since i came here, how to be independent, how to socialize, how to speak up, how to make a decision, etc. Surprisingly I didnt learn a lot of stuff in my field :(

Back
Bên trên