Senior students come here and discuss

No problem ^_^. Em sẽ chờ cho đến cái ngày ấy ^_^

Chị Lan ơi...Hình như là em đoán được cái đứa được nhận là ai rồi. :-( :-( :-(
Buồn quá, chỉ mong là em đoán sai thôi.

Trời .. T_T ... nghe chi mà đau lòng quá thế ... Seravi khóc theo mất thôi ...
Kiều Trang đoán là ai thế ?
(Nghĩ lại trường MPS này còn có Sung Yub từ Korean cũng đăng ký vào Lafayette -_- ... )

Hic hic hic, không biết ấy coi trọng Laf đến đâu chứ tớ mê Laf từ lâu lắm rồi. Bị đá thì dĩ nhiên là đau lòng rồi nên mới khóc ai oán vậy chứ.

Ừm cũng đành là Lafayette tốt ^_^
Nhớ lại lúc phỏng vấn ... được 10 phút nói về bản thân ... rồi còn lại 20 phút cuối cháu ngồi nghe cô khoe kể về Lafayette ^_^ Thèm ghê ^_^ ...
ĐÍnh chính : Sung Yub có đang kí vào Laf nhưng đã rút đơn lại rồi ... (vào được trường khác rồi mà)
Thôi thế này đi, Khánh cũng sẽ lại về hùa với Trang, mong rằng người mà Trang đoán không được nhận vào Laf nhé ^_^

Hic, KTrang diem cao the ma con khoc, de nuoc mat to khoc voi (van de la khoc vi vui hay gi thoi)? Chi con 2 tuan nua thoi, hic.

Chị Lan "ác" thật, bọn em ca thán ai oán vậy mà bà chị thì hở mười cái răng (không biết em có đếm thiếu đếm thừa không nữa).

To Hà: Ấy cũng apply Laf phải không?

Có đâu khoảng 7-8 đứa VN apply gì ý mà... 2 accepted and 1 waitlisted in the top... (rất có cơ hội được nhận vào sau... tất nhiên nếu có đứa không vào)
Theo thống kê thì có khoảng 800 intl applied, above 50, less than 60 accepted :)

có bạn nào nghe gì từ các trường khác chưa?
Tớ lo quá, đúng hôm mình quay lại trường nhận được 1 xếp thư báo rejected thì xong phim :((
Không biết có trường nào gửi email không? Ngồi đây nóng ruột quá, không biết hòm thư bên kia đã đầy ụ chưa... :(

Cu yen tam vui huong du am ngay 8-3 di Huong a. Ngay ay quay lai moi la ngay cac truong mail notification. To thay toan la midday thi gui thu va online thi bat dau luc 5pm cung ngay.
Ban nao apply Colby nhi? March 26th thi truong se gui thu ma 5pm thi ngoi doi online notification, hic ma luc do la 10 gio dem o ben nay roi.

Somethings fun for you guys in April 1st

12 Steps to Conquering Your Ivy Addiction

By Jay Mathews
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 30, 2004; 7:49 AM

Here comes April, which has to be, even more than October for Cubs and Red Sox fans, the worst of months for many Americans. Tax returns are due the 15th, of course, but I am thinking of that other April curse -- the letters from college admission offices.

Is the envelope fat or thin? The trauma has become part of American culture, and it is clear that we have not made much progress in learning how to deal with it. There are always going to be many more applicants than spaces in the brand name colleges. Like other limited-issue but popular items -- Super Bowl seats or winning lottery tickets or beachside villas in Malibu -- only a few will get them and the rest of us will feel bad.

But the problem is more our attitude toward the college selection process than the process itself. And when I use first person plural pronouns here, I mean us parents. The kids, with a few exceptions, are almost always more realistic and mature about what is at stake, and quicker to get over any disappointments. At the end of the process they still get to go to SOME college, one of the great thrill rides of their life, and get away from us, also a plus. My three children all chose the college options that put the most miles between them and me. I saw this as a heartening sign of their independence, no matter what other interpretations might occur to you.

But we parents still fret over what might have been, and I don't think there is any cure for that. We are addicts, with a classic emotional dependence on something that is not good for us, and the only solution is to recognize and deal with it.

I call it Ivyholism. Parents like me are addicted to the notion that brand name colleges make a difference. We are tribal primates, with DNA seemingly hard-wired to respect pecking orders. We always want to know who is on top, what is the order of priority. If we see a ranked list of SUVs or ice cream shops or massage parlors, we can't resist checking it out. And that goes double for the college list in U.S. News and World Report.

Which school is best? Harvard? Stanford? Princeton? Yale? We have to know. But listen to us. We are talking about colleges the same way we talk about wine or left handed pitchers or American Idol contestants. This is fashion and marketing and branding, not real value being added to our lives, or our children's lives.

Like many addicts, we might benefit from a 12-step program to achieve some peace and sanity. Remember, we are ALWAYS going to be Ivyholics. We just have to learn how to live with it, and not let it get out of hand. Here are 12 important facts that may help, some taken from my book, "Harvard Schmarvard: Getting Beyond the Ivy League to the College That Is Best for You," and some that I personally cling to when the bad feelings come.

• 1. Getting Into a Brand Name School Does NOT Improve Your Life.

A study by Mellow Foundation researcher Stacy Berg Dale and Princeton University economist Alan B. Krueger shows that students with the character traits that bring success in life -- persistence, charm, humor -- are doing just as well financially 20 years after college graduation whether they went to Brown or Kansas State.

• 2. Teaching and Learning Are Often Better In Schools You Never Heard Of.

Anyone who has ever served time as an undergraduate in a Ivy League institution knows how bad some big lecture courses can be, while the list of no-name schools with great college teachers (see the back of my book) is very long.

• 3. All Those Smart Kids Rejected by Brand Name Schools Make Lesser Known Colleges Great.

If you think for a minute about the quality of the people who are NOT getting in Harvard, Yale and Princeton, you have to envy the schools that are going to get them. With the annual number of new doctorates in the United States going from 10,575 in 1960 to 45,000 in 2000, those non-brand-name schools also have a wider selection of first-class faculty than ever before.

• 4. Very Few of the Richest People in America Went to Harvard.

Bill Gates was there for awhile, but he dropped out, missing whatever value that school is supposed to impart to its undergraduates, and has done well anyway. Here are the alma maters of the chief executive officers of the Top 10 Fortune 500 companies in 2001: Duke, Pittsburg (Kansas) State, Wisconsin, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, Cornell, Miami of Ohio, Institute of Chartered Accountants (Australia), and UC-Berkeley.

• 5. Very Few of the Most Powerful People in America Went to Yale.

We do have a Yale president at the moment and will elect one again in 2004 since both major candidates spent time in New Haven. But the vast majority of U.S. presidents did not attend the Ivies, and when I looked at the first 25 governors listed in the Almanac of American Politics 2002 I found only one Yale, one Dartmouth and one Stanford graduate. The rest had degrees from these schools: Alabama, Kansas, Ouachita Baptist, Austin State, Villanova, Texas, Georgia, Berkeley, Idaho, Ferris State, Indiana, Hamilton, Kansas Wesleyan, Kentucky, LSU, Florida State, Trinity, Michigan State, Mississippi, Southwest Missouri State, North Hennepin Community College (that wrestler you may have heard of) and one governor, Ruth Ann Minner of Delaware, who not only did not go to college, but dropped out of high school and got her General Education Diploma. Don't forget our big TV anchormen, Tom Brokaw of South Dakota, Dan Rather of Sam Houston State and Peter Jennings, another high school dropout. And as final proof, ask the person at your office who has the power to fire you where she went to college. In my case, it is the State University of New York-Buffalo.

• 6. Very Few of Our Heroes Went to Princeton.

Here are some of the most admired Americans, and the colleges they attended: Martin Luther King Jr., Morehouse; Colin Powell, City College of New York; Billie Jean King, California State University-Los Angeles; Warren Buffett, Nebraska-Lincoln; Rudy Giuliani, Manhattan; Bill Cosby, Temple; Oprah Winfrey, Tennessee State; Garrison Keillor, Minnesota; Steve Jobs, Reed; Ken Burns, Hampshire; Jaime Escalante, California State University-Los Angeles. Mohammed Ali did not attend college.

• 7. Career Contacts Are Just As Good At Nebraska as They Are At Dartmouth.

As you see above, some very influential people went to some under-appreciated schools. Every college in America has produced powerful alumni who can help you get somewhere. The important thing, as the Dale-Krueger study shows, is whether you have the gumption to approach these people and ask for advice, and maybe a job.

• 8. Brand Name Schools Produce Many Graduates Who Are Just Average, and Worse.

The Harvard alumni reports are full of the same bad news you hear at any college reunion -- emotional illness, alcoholism, broken marriages, ennui. My favorite example is the 35th reunion report filed by Alan J. Horowitz, a member of the Harvard class of 1967, who wrote from a state prison in Fishkill, N.Y., to say that his life has been "an uninterrupted saga of frustration, failure and loss."

• 9. Why Are All Those Foreign Students Happy to be at Cleveland State?

The reason is that they, unlike us, have figured out that it doesn't matter where you go to college in America, as long as the place conforms to your desires and needs. They appreciate far more than we do that this country has the greatest choice of colleges of any country in the world, and they are delighted to be at Michigan State or UC Riverside or Virginia Commonwealth.

• 10. This Is NOT the Most Important Moment in the Applicant's Life.

People who compare picking a college to picking a mate are wrong. It is much more like buying a house. You want something that looks good to you, with enough rooms and pleasant neighbors. It is an expensive investment to be sure, but if it doesn't work out, . . .

• 11. You Can Always Dump a College You Don't Like for One that You Do.

At least 20 percent of students who start in one four-year college switch to another one before they graduate, and that doesn't even begin to count the many students who start in two-year colleges and then move to four-year schools. Colleges like accepting transfers -- I was one -- because they tend to be older and have a clearer idea of what they want. Getting divorced is considerably more painful and expensive than changing colleges.

• 12. Remember Steven Spielberg.

Dale and Krueger found that many successful people defined themselves in high school as having worth and talent, and that self-concept was all they needed, even if they did not get into their first choice school. Spielberg thought he had the potential to be a great filmmaker. The famous film schools at UCLA and USC disagreed, and rejected him, so he went to Long Beach State, now known as California State University-Long Beach, and made several student films there. It worked out for him eventually, and his parents found something to be proud of. Would that the rest of us were that far-sighted.

This thread is over now. Thank you for your contributions and have a beautiful ending.

Back
Bên trên