Common Essay needs help

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the comment, especially sis Linh. I wrote this essay last year in a much more clumsy version, then edited it this year for the transfer process. The basic truth is that my mom had to do nightshift every week, and I came with her (actually that was the time that really depressed me, seeing all the sickness and such).

And of course there's a white curtain (if you ever enter a night doctor's office, you'll always see one). What I was trying to convey is that the curtain is a metaphor for my mom's hard work. Kind of like a barrier as u said, very tangible but untouchable. Since it's such a powerful thing, it reaches out from the clinic and intrudes our lives. Wherever I go, I have to acknowledge it. It is true that sometimes I'm jealous with her patients and her jobs. But ah well, that was childish.

About the big words, I guess I'm used to my creative writing class. They're just for the purpose of creating vivid images. My friends are actually the thesaurus. But yeah, I see your point and will fix the essay.

To KT: :D I can't believe you still remember Promina and the gangs!!!! Hahaha - oh my god! Man, really couldn't believe I wrote thousands pages of nonsense - out of space adventures, ninja robot and romantic crap! It'd be interesting to come back and reread all of my "novels." Never know when they might become famous ;)

To sis My: I like "swayin my butt" too :D Hope the adcom didn't get too gross of an image.

To K.Trang: I have read ur Why Swarthmore carefully. Just like me, you envision a day at the college, what you think and do, to show the admissions committee your passion and desire to attend it. If Swarthmore is that extremely academic, you perfectly fit it.
However, why don't you add some more about how u r getting on with ur peers. It is not merely Asian culture discussion or Interntl Night but also who in particular you will talk with? or imagine how they will think about ur plan for instance. Just a bit wonder.

To Trang Nguyen: I think I have met u before, a long time ago. Did u attend Kim Lien Primary school, just the 5th year?
You have described your feelings vividly in the essay. The 2nd paragraph for me is pretty touching. If u make ur main idea in this essay clearer and more concentrated, it would be fab.
Out of curiosity, did u go to college early? otherwise you should be applying for freshman year like we are.

To others: I have seen a lot of worry and concern about writing Why? Would u like to post more of ur essays here so that we can discuss the best way to write this kind of Supplement, and also contribute to the next class as well.

Hi Thanh Ha,

That's right, I went to fifth grade at Kim Lien. Where did I meet you before? That really was a long time ago, please tolerate my memory. Thanks for the feedback on the essay, you guys' thoughts are really appreciated. Yes, I skipped my senior year of high school and went straight to college. So now I felt really old :(

And this is my WHY BATES essay. Again, wanna beat it up?

WHY BATES II

The girl in the mirror opposite me glows like a child when she argues about the war in Iraq or the tax-cut policy. I love public speaking, for the pure joy of it. At Bates, I would gladly roll up my sleeves with the school’s national-recognized debaters to confront some perky eyes, shoot back a quick tongue, or just to swap ideas.

Such simple skills set the basis for my career choice as an international business lawyer for foreign companies in Vietnam. I would like to major in Economics, with secondary concentrations in Chemistry and either French or Rhetoric. Bipolar as they seem, Economics and Chemistry complement each other for the task as Vietnam is attempting to morph its traditional Eastern identity into Western free market. The economy is hungry for private investment, while overused historic sights and beautiful resorts cry out for protection and awareness. At Bates’ renowned economics department, I plan to get to the bottom of this fascinating era of East-West crossroad by building social insights on a scientific foundation of nature, the uniting force of our identity.

Vietnam is on the other side of the world, thus college is home. Only here can I plow through the vast library network, research in top-notch facilities, explore American democratic enterprise and then set off to Japan to learn about the only first-world economy in the Asiatic rim. Later on, abundant research and internship opportunities like the senior’s thesis and the Ladd program will weave those experiences into solid, real life solutions. Besides the “brain” factors, I am also looking for a liberal and engaging students body, with the rigorous Debate Council, the active Multicultural Center, even something as bizarre as Zenstruck Juggling. My Daoist subconscious specifically lobbies for the sapphire oceans and golden leaves of coastal Maine (a perfect setting for Buddhist contemplation).

Bates is it. Glancing at the mirror, I see a jaw-dropping, all-for-it version of the same girl, glowing at the possibilities ahead. Still intrigued, but now spunky like New Orleans’ jazz and crisp like the Midwestern air, she wants to bring it over to your place for the next wild time.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
well-thought, perfectly written, Trang. You will definitely get into wherever you want. :)
btw, are u sure Vietnam is trying to "morph its traditional Eastern identity into Western free market?"
And I don't see much relation between Chemistry and Economics though. I also want to do double major in Environmental Studies and Economics. In my essay, I also talked about how these two areas complement each other.

Hey guys, I think we are doing a great job here for "the sake of the next generations!" ;) If only there had been this type of thread last year :D

To Ha: do you wanna share any of your essays here? I think people must get bored with my silly essays. We need some new faces, rite? ;)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
The girl in the mirror opposite me ... should it be in past tếnse ?

Great piece of writting, nice job Trang..

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
To Trang Nguyen: When I read your posts last year, I recognised you immediately. We weren't in the same class, I am not surprised at your memory :D .
Your Why Bates? is again very flowing. It shows great sincerity and your passion for your potential majors. But I kind of think that you do not concentrate on your college life and friends. Or maybe Bates is also an extreme academic school.

To D.Huong: actually there was a thread just like this last year, but sadly it was long after the application process.
And there is a relationship between Chemistry and Economics. Here in England, I learned that a double major in Chemistry and Economics can work for banks in scientific projects. Very potential, isn't it?
Your suggestion made me look again at my supplements, and it sucks :((. Anyway, I have sent it off and nothing can I do now apart from waiting and praying. Here we go:
Supplement to International students: Imagine you are writing a letter to your new college roommate. Describe what is most unique about your personality, your interests and your backgrounds.
Dear Georgiana,
I just know that you will be my roommate this year. Though from now till September is just 2 months, I still want to write to you and introduce myself, so we can somehow know each other before moving to your new home in Denbigh House.
Did you visit the campus before? I didn’t and just choose Denbigh because it resembles the architecture of Cambridge University. I have studied in Cambridge for 2 years and am quite familiar with its colleges, which are scattered around the city. I often walk regardless of how far just to see the antique, fine houses, and imagined them as the settings of Jane Austen’s novels. Perhaps, when we already live together you will tell me about Nova Scotia. Is it old, and quiet? In turn, I will tell you about Hanoi, my hometown. Just bear in mind that, it is old, yet very nice and graceful, the authentic culture of which, through my narrative, can make you taste Vietnamese food instantly!
I learned that you possibly major in English and Growth and Structure of cities. That is why I mention Jane Austen here. I have read a lot by her, Pearl Buck and other women authors as well. It is interesting to have a roommate of different subject, mine is Biochemistry, therefore we sometimes can add to each other’s general knowledge and discuss different topics as well. You can speak both English and French, can’t you? I got acquainted to French just last year, so please speak to me in French so I may improve it.
Staying up late is the other of my habbits. With a cup of coffee, laptop and piles of books, I can fall deep in my cerebration until perhaps 2 am. If it is also yours, then perhaps we can make drinks together and share late nights studying. I really enjoy the time, quiet, peaceful, only me with my thinking and. my coffee. But I used to compensate for it by missing early lessons! With my coffee, I also can talk with you overnight. Once I get excited or stuck to something, I hardly can leave it behind for a while.
Well, I hope that this letter can help you know a little about me. The rest, you will know when you arrive at Denbigh Green! If there, you see a plump girl, with two long pigtails, who talks a lot, asks a lot and carries a lot, it is me.
See you in September,
Ha Nguyen

To T.Hà: Thanks a lot for your comments. There's no way I can change what I have sent now, yet I will keep it in mind when I write my transfer essays next year (hopefully I won't have to). It's true that I'm quite academic a student, but I don't enjoy studying as much as I brag in that essay.

To T.Hà (again): Is that the supp you wrote for Bryn Mawr? Hic hic hic, I thought I was the only one applying to BM this year...Hu hu hu...Btw, are you studying at Abbey Cam and what English schools are you applying to this year?

It’s dark. The night glacially conqueres the small ragged area close to the Red river. Traveling from nearby fields, the scent of rice glides past fondling gently the innocent faces of the peckish children. Arctic winds start rushing immensely through the crack in the door to the ramshackle little sleeping place… Just over there, few kilometers toward the center of Hanoi city, the other kids are dreaming in the sweet embrace of their dear mothers. But here, in a small boat with a mere torn blanket and a small light bulb, four little children are shivering in coldness and hunger…

Can you please give me some comments on this little piece of writing?
If i write it in past tense, would the strong sense of the last sentence be stolen?

Here's my essay for Johns Hopkins. I feel so happy I just finished it after 3 hours of torture. I haven't had time to check it carefully, so don't stop reading because you find too many mistakes. Anybody who has a comment, please do it quick, because i'm gonna send it on Saturday, the deadline. Thanks
The essay is also quite lengthy ( strangely ).

If you had only $10 and you plan a day’s adventure, where would you go, what would you do and who would you take with you?

6:00. The alarm clock just went off, like everyday. The only difference is instead of going to school, I’m going on a trip today.
6:30. It’s still early on this Saturday morning, and there are not many people at the bus stop. I’ve been waiting for the bus number 21 for ten minutes. It should come any time now. Ah! Here it is.
6:31. WHAT? Not that again. I have to stand on crowded buses everyday to go to school. The sixty-seat bus I take is usually overloaded with about eighty people, which is all right in the winter, since it helps …warm me up a little bit when the doors are open. But it’s late spring, and today is Saturday, what’s wrong with these people?
Suddenly I realize. What’s wrong with ME? For so long I’ve taken this day off for granted, forgetting that normal high school and elementary school kids still have classes. On the other hand, we, students of a university's subdivision high school, have the same advantages college students do, one of which is not having school on Saturdays.
And so I stand here, blaming myself for not considering this, and thereby, maybe spoiling the whole day. I could’ve just taken the bicycle instead. But because somebody just gave me 150,000 dong the other day, I decided I would find every single way to spend it. Yes, 150,000 dong is equivalent to $10. And while it’s not worth that much in America, it’s a decent amount of money in Vietnam, to plan for a day trip. I told Viet, my best friend, yesterday, that I just got some money, and if he was interested in my plan, I would like him to accompany me. Of course he was more than happy to go after listening to my plan. Now, I’m not sure if even I am interested any more.
6:40. Thank Buddha, I can get off now. Hopefully, the next one, which is larger and usually less crowded, will be better, and maybe I will even find a seat.
6:45. Here it comes.

6:47. I just successfully reach the rear part of the bus from the front door, which took me two minutes. Now I realize I’ve made a fatal mistake, trying to use the bus. It’s been only seventeen minutes since I got in the first bus, but it seems like half a day has passed away.
7:00. Outside the window appears the familiar sight of Viet. But not as lucky as I was, trying to get a view of the window, I can’t get there to wave to him, as in the plan, so that he would know and get in the bus. I watch him looking for me in the bus, and then looking away…
Can it even get worse? Now I have to force my way to the door, get off and walk back. As much excited as I was last night, now I feel disheartened.
7:07. “Where have you been?” asks Viet, “I’ve been waiting for fifteen minutes.”
“The darned bus…..” I hear myself starting to tell him about what happened.
Having heard my story, Viet agrees that we should change our plan. We would walk instead.
7:20. Surprisingly, I’m enjoying this walk. Without a backpack, without having to worry about literature or geography at school, walking doesn’t seem too bad, at least compared to my recent experience. More importantly, I’m talking with my best friend about the planets, the stars, about what we were taught yesterday. The lecture that has inspired me to go and buy astronomy books is now lightening my day. The more I learn about physics, the more I love it and feel happy with my choice of specializing in it.
8:30. We talked so much on the way that we seem to forget how we made the nearly-one-hour walk and even what we had for breakfast, beef noodles or chicken noodles. But it’s not important. The point is we are here, the famous old-book store in Ba Trieu Street.
Visiting old-book stores has always been my favorite pastime. I usually spend hours there, finding and reading old books. Though most of the time I don’t buy any, it’s still fun to look for old, cheap books that are no longer published, and sometimes to smile to myself mischievously, having just found a book with the solutions to all the exercises assigned by one of my teachers.
“Do you have books in astronomy?” I ask, “We want to buy some.”
Assured that we would buy instead of just looking, the storekeeper looks patiently for what I asked, finally brings out a stack of books. Beaming, we thank him and begin our own search.
12:30. Four hours have passed without our notice. Feeling fulfilled, we call it a morning, pay for the books and leave. On our hands now are books, written by Russian, American, French and Vietnamese writers. I’ve picked up “The first three minutes” by Steven Weinberg, “A brief history of time” by the famous Stephen Hawking and several books by Professor Nguyen Chau, our physics teacher. In Viet’s stack I see some books published by Mir Publishing House, Moscow, a familiar name to us but not extant any more, and some other interesting ones. We would exchange our books, so that one can read the other’s.
Walking out of the store, we head toward the famous restaurant in Mai Hac De Street, where we will have lunch. With the money, I will, of course, pay for it, just like I did for breakfast and the books.
6:00 p.m. Another four hours have passed since we got to Viet’s house. Here we’ve gone through the books, stopping here and there to discuss. Also, we didn’t forget to check all the figures that Professor Chau gave us yesterday without reading any note or book, to end up every time gasping at his astounding memory.
As it’s getting dark outside, I decide to go home. Saying goodbye to Viet, I start walking. Not until now do I realize that on my hands are about ten kilograms of books, not like when we started out in the morning. In fact, we’ve walked like that after leaving the store, without being aware of the weight on our hands. “But now”, my arms say, “it’s time for us to have a break.” And so I get on the bus, now full of students going home from school.
“Why are you carrying so many books”, asks a small elementary kid.
“It’s physics, boy. Soon you’ll know”. I answer, and smile to myself. Suddenly the bus doesn’t seem so terrible.​

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối bởi người điều hành:
Dương Nhật Minh đã viết:
S
6:40. Thank Buddha, I can get off now. Hopefully, the next one, which is larger and usually less crowded, will be better, and maybe I will even find a seat.​

sounds like a gangsta :)) omb for omg now ;;)
gluck w/ that mean JH​

WHAT? Gangsta? omb i'm hurt so much. :D
Anyway, just want to be kind of funny, don't know if it sounds inappropriate.

@Minh: brilliant and unique.
If I were you, I would say, "we would exchange our books" instead of "trade our books." Also, write "two" of "three" instead of numbers like 2, 3. I think it's OK with numbers bigger than 10.
After all, not big mistakes though.

Below is my essay. I wonder if it is the "right kind" of college essays. Thanks for every opinion and corection.

The longest trip in life
“What are you going to be, girl?” A friend of my father’s asked me. Preparing myself in the most serious way but without hesitation, I would reply, “I will be a hippy,” I stopped short and then decisively added, “like my Dad.” That moment was unforgotten. Hugging me, my father, who was actually an engineer, proudly sang to a Jimi Hendrix tune, “See my pride and joy. See my pride and joy…” Yet, a bit ambivalence still reflected in my father’s eyes, half excitement, half worry… Years later, I still can express exactly the same thing…
I might (and actually did) forget many things. I forgot to lock the doors before leaving home. I could not remember which of the Fab Four wrote “Yesterday.” But the childhood memories die hard. When I was little, unlike other kids’, my bedtime stories were not fairy tales starring princesses and magical oak seeds (I could read them myself at the tender age of three partly due to my parents’ endless effort to teach me.) My father would, instead, tell me about the “foolish fun” he had with his buddies: how he won in the Tree Climbing Contest or how he wrote his first piece of music. His stories were illustrated with his photos where the “once-young Son” (his name, that was the way he always called himself) dressed in the curly long hair, John Lennon glasses and the typical hippy outfit, strumming his old Fender. I grew up fooling around the guitar, which was thirty year older than I was, and listening to his oldies tapes, which I would be more than happy to receive as the only dowry on my future wedding day. All the melody would follow me everywhere, accompanying me to my dreams and waking me up fresh for the morning. Sometimes, it was so spirited that I bounced to it. But sometimes, it echoed in my mind and I just hummed to myself…
As my worldview came of its own (that was when I was done with all of my father’s tapes and started to find out more no my own, at the age of nine or ten if you want to know for sure) I came to realize that the “hippy” career was not serious enough. Instead, I would choose to be a sailor (which was inspired from Popeye – the Sailorman) and then an astronaut (the idea arrived in my head when I first saw the Footstep That Need Not Be Named) and then a second Andersen (it will take the whole day to tell you all I have ever wanted to be.) As I told him about my “career” change, he was always excited and thoughtful but, as I marveled, gave no vaguest hint of worry as he did the very long time ago. Those were the bedtime stories that I would tell my father every night (we switched our places: I was the story-teller and he turned out to be my loyal audience; time changed a lot, didn’t it?) He would sit on my bedside and attentively listen to my very word. He then shared me his childhood ambitions, how he aspired to be a traveler, a policeman or a pilot but then ended up a once-bitter-but-now-eager engineer. Somehow, he showed me the longest way in life was right within my self.
William Blake said, “As the doors of perception were to be cleansed, everything would appear to men as it is truly infinite.” The awareness of the longest way in life was my first “door of perception.” My Dad gave me the key to that first door. Yet, to open other doors and discover the world lurking behind them, I need to fly on my own wings. But along my life-long trip, he will always be by my side, sometimes as vivid as the cloudless autumn sky, sometimes like an invisible man, I can not see him but I sense that he is there, in my heart, in my mind.
I am half way the world from my father now. But his last words to me at the airport still swim in my head, “Leave but don’t leave me!” Even Pink Floyd couldn’t be better!

Are we allowed to use contractions (don't, didn't, ...)?
To QA: you use () very fluently (although a little bit too many :D) Your journalism class does help, rite? ;)

To Minh: no more published or no longer publised? Well, maybe they are the same but the latter sounds more familiar to me.
and I personally think Thank Budda is o.k coz my friend here says that too although he is American. He often says things like "Budda smiles on me :D"

To QA, I have just gone through ur essay again, and I am sorry but sometimes I am lost...:D
Your depiction (is this the right word?) of your father is interesting. Howev, it could be shorter and more focus. (again, focus or focusing, focused..? :p )
Secondly, did you make up the title of your essay or is that the question from college?
Good luck with college, :)

Thanks QAnh. You just made my day. :)
You guys' suggestions are very useful for me.
Btw, to sis QMy: JHU is not that mean, at least when it comes to deadline. They gave me an extension of 30 more days to finish my application, also waived the application fee before I even applied (and thus, before I asked for it ). I just heard from them again today, and the deadline for me has been extended once more, because they sent me the wrong part 2. (commonapp supp instead of part 2). So now i have until Feb 7 to finish the application. How sweet!
Anybody else, plz ?

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối bởi người điều hành:
thanks dieuhautotbung, yes I did use too many () and I will try to cut some of them. I also find it lack focus. Huong, can you make your suggestion more ... suggestive? I spent a very short time writing it and that's the first college essay I ever wrote since I was here and I have no intention of writing any more essays. (laziness champion :)) Mine is a personal statement and a "topic of my choice."
thanks for any more comments!

Hey where is everybody? Did I chase people away with my .. POS? :D Sorry if it's true.
Anyway, I just editted my essay. Have a look if you care.

Back
Bên trên