Common Essay needs help

It's true that my essays are all shorter than 500 words. I am not good at using words and the more I write, the more mistakes I make :D Therefore, I try to express my ideas in the shortest and simplest way ;)
(wait, have I made any mistakes in this post? )

Btw, I like this saying a lot. "whoever says Out of sight, out of mind is right. When you are out of sight, I am out of mind." :D

Nguyễn Diệu Hương đã viết:
Btw, I like this saying a lot. "whoever says Out of sight, out of mind is right. When you are out of sight, I am out of mind." :D

I may have to revise my signature then :))

To Duke applicant:
Your essay is very personal and well-written. It will bring you a lot of acceptance letters. So do others (Not like me a pool of reject letter :( so I prepare a reply posted in Box Du Hoc. :) )
I like this answer :
"Do you fear that our admission office will reject you this year?
-No. Duke has graduate schools, right?"
It proves that you are an "exceptional"(as described :) ) student who can get over disappointments, self-confident and humorous. (and reveals who you are. I know you ;-) )

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
To Duke's applicant: the only thing i dont understand is why u called ur host dad Mr+last name..

Louis Amstrong's : take me to Duke's place (isn't it so, or Ellington's? )

Duke is still freaking mean though they are more open this year. it's kindda not worth the effort, just my 2 cents.

So Công, you are the writer.
First I thought a girl wrote the essay............
To Hương: Can you give me your tel number again. I lost it.
Sorry for câuing posts

To Thảo: No, Công is not the writer of that Duke essay. The writer is a girl, a friend of mine. I don't think she has an account here, that's why she had to post it as a guest.

I'm really surprised that some of you wrote different Personal Statement for different schools. I have only one and I'm going to post it here . I've submitted it, but I still need your comments desperately. Here we go:

A significant experience
August 2003.
I spent two weeks with six other Vietnamese students in Thousand Oaks, California. We are exchange students. We had never been to the States, or even abroad, before. We had never been away from our family before. We had never communicated in a second language before. We were a group of scared, inexperienced, timid kids. Each of us stayed with an American host family. Together we visited many places in California. Two weeks was too insignificant a time period in one’s life, yet it meant something to me. Actually it meant a lot to me. It probably even changed my life.
I can still remember that evening, in the departure meeting. The party took place in the classroom where we had English lessons everyday. All host families and their students were present. Each student had to make a speech of at least four-minute long about two places that we had visited during our time there. I was the last one. All of my friends did fine; they had all prepared a piece of paper to read from. I had not. But I had to speak anyway. I was walking up to the place where Sandra – our teacher – usually stood teaching. Everybody was looking at me attentively. I avoided looking at anyone. I was too nervous. I walked slowly, trying to keep my heart from jumping out of my chest. I stopped, took a deep breath, and started:
“Hi everyone! First, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Son, I’m sixteen years old.” – I noticed that my voice sounded unusual – “Second, I think I need some water…”
I went to the food table and got myself a glass of water. Everybody was laughing. I was relieved to see how my clumsy words had lightened the atmosphere and certainly the tension I was undergoing. Getting another glass of water, I slowly walked back.
“I’m good now… So, I’m the last student to speak, and probably will be the least.” They looked at me for a second, and burst into laugh again.
“As you can see, I have no paper…”
“Sandra wanted each of us to have a four-minute speech, hmm, I think it’s been one minute now.”
People were still laughing, maybe for more than half a minute.
“I’m going to talk about our trip to the Universal City and the Getty Center. In the Universal City, I can remember running around and taking a lot of pictures. We went into every store, looked at everything, but bought nothing… Honestly, I didn’t like that place much, it’s too commercial, and apparently not suited to my finance…”
“Then the Getty Center. I liked this place better, more things to see and less to buy… We saw some beautiful paintings. There was one that everybody looked at and took picture of. It must be famous. I looked at it and found it hard to understand. I thought maybe that’s why it’s famous. I took its picture anyway, hoping I’ll figure it out someday…”
“At Getty Center we found a place from where we could see the whole city of Los Angeles. It was beautiful. But there’s another place much more beautiful for me, right here, in Thousand Oaks. The trees, the hills that go up and down, everything. Above all, here I feel just like home, because I have a family, Judy C. and Sky.” – I looked at my host family – “Words are not enough to express how grateful I am. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me. Thank you for being my family.”
I received a hug from my host mother and my handicapped host brother.
Two weeks before that memorable evening, I would have been scared to death if I had to speak English in front of a crowd of strangers from another country. I was shy and timid. Vietnamese children are not brought up to make great speeches. I did not feel comfortable being with strangers. I enjoyed my own company, safe under my parents’ protective home. I was afraid to voice my opinion with other people, even in the classroom. I did not want to reveal myself. But soon I realized it was time for a change, perhaps many changes. I realized if I do not try to make my qualities known, nobody would care to discover them. I felt a sudden but most powerful urge to see new things, to experience the world, to strive for success despite myself. It was like the feeling of an adventurer longing for a journey, seeking challenges. At that time, I knew that becoming an exchange student will make the journey I dreamt of come true. I have traveled half the world to get to the U.S., but more importantly, I have come a long way within myself.
So it was the two weeks that have transformed me. At that departure meeting, I was amazed at the different person I have become. My values, my perspectives will remain the same, but how I convey them will be different. I have shown myself to others, seen my image in others’ eyes. They are neither my parents, nor my sister, nor my close friends, but strangers from another country. We speak different languages, come from different cultures. But I told myself the only thing I need to do is open my heart.
My journey has just begun; this is the moment I truly step into life. A whole new world is opening up before me; it may be bitter, may be sweet. My parents have many times warned me of the consequences if I fail to achieve my college dream. I thought: “Failure, I definitely don’t want it. But…” – I smiled – “… I don’t know yet how it tastes.”

nice essay.. but it's a little bit long, I think ;)
Btw, you have been to Thousand Oaks? Awesome, how is it? I will visit there sometime.. for a special reason.:D
About the significant experience, I only write 1 essay and it is god-damned short. 300 words, I guess. :(
Well, if you don't mind reading, this is my stupid essay.

A significant experience

Standing on top of Entabenni Mountain in South Africa, I felt powerless to express the beauty of the scene before my eyes. That moment and the ten days I spent in South Africa will never ebb away in my mind. After a four round contest held by the UNESCO and Cathay Pacific, I was one of the lucky three Vietnamese delegates to join the “International Wilderness Experience” program with 53 students from 14 different countries.

The trip was an opportunity for me to discover the beauty of nature. We lived together in a camp next to the streams, the bushes and African wild animals. We witnessed lions hunting and rhinos eating. At night we heard jackals howling. I had never been that deeply immersed in the wild. Not only did we learn about the environment but we also touched it, smelled it and even tasted it. Everything around us, every a blade of grass, had an amazing story to tell. I was 15 at that time. In the thousands of beautiful mornings in my life, I would get up and rush to school, hardly paying any attention to the fresh air, the cloudless sky, and the balmy breeze. Here, in the early morning, we could sit in the shade of a tree, writing or gazing at the vast savannah. I saw how perfect the nature was. No one has the right to destroy that perfection.

We also had the opportunity to learn about new cultures and thereby gain mutual understanding and respect. In “ao dai” – the Vietnamese traditional dress – I proudly stood next to a Japanese girl in her kimono. I suddenly realized the uniqueness of our culture and truly respected the diversity around me. I will always treasure our spirit of solidarity and our beautiful friendships. I had hiked many times on my own but never as a team. Helping team-mates was a simple but essential thing we learned. Never will I forget the evenings we gathered around the fire, hand-in-hand, dancing and singing.

Ten days was not long. But after coming back, I have truly grown up as a person. Just as a rhino belongs to the savannah, I belong to the earth. My dream is to dedicate my life to environmental issues.

-So, you said you want to go to Duke next year. Are you ready? Are you fearless?
-Yes. I can proudly say that I am fearless. Not only for the kind of fear toward ghosts. It’s true that darkness or ghosts don’t scare me; however, this is not what I want to tell you.
It was a mid November night and I burst into tears again. I could not remember how many times I had done so in the previous two months. I was so stressed. “You are putting too much pressure on yourself, girl”, my host father, Mr. Aboud, said. True. But I couldn’t help it.
U have a very good introduction, girl. As a whole, your essay has a personal touch, which is the kind of thing that admissions officers are looking for. At first you demonstrated your great desire to go to Duke then you drove readers gently to your experience in the states. This part is really good, I think. But personally, I feel it lacks something. I cannot read your writing carefully right now, but I guess you should add some reasons why u want to go to Duke. That'd be better.
It would be a disaster to come back to Vietnam and repeat a senior year if I didn’t get into a college here.
I would not say this if I were you. It may sound you have a dislike of your own country in case u come back (though I know you don't). Can u think of any other smoothly-read reason or another way of expression, my friend?

I feel so sorry as I didn't know your bad situation before reading this essay. My friend, I wish you all the best luck.
- Huong qd

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
wait, to Thao: oh no sweetie, how many times have you lost my phone number? :(
Btw, don't worry about chatting here. I haven't deleted any chatting posts so far... :)) I am the worst mod in HAO, right? :D

I think the problem with the Duke essay is a lack of deep descriptions. You mentioned many things, though nothing in detail.
Also, things like your class rank,... do not necessarily have to be in the essay, since they're already in your transcript, and would be more compelling if mentioned by other ppl than yourself, like your teachers (in VN as well as here)
( I don't repeat its strengths here, since everybody knows already )
Just my personal opinion.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối bởi người điều hành:
This is mine. Please feel free to beat it up, any thought is appreciated.

-----------------------
“Keep his head cool! Let's go!" My mother strained her voice above the wails. Clutching the curtain, I peered through its small holes at the panicked farmers, their arms clumsily wrapping around the twisted child with pastel cheeks and flickering eyelids. Nippy Hanoi wind rushed in as they dashed out of the Pediatric Emergency Clinic and crammed into my mom’s 40cc motorcycle. The chugging trailed off. I said a prayer, hugged my knees and waited.

An only child of a divorced doctor, I accompanied my mom four nights a month to the clinic, literally a wooden box floating in the acrid smells of antibiotic. A white curtain divided the room in halves. On one side, the doctor’s bed cluttered up with piles of faded medical records, while a table, three chairs and a sink occupied the rest of the space to meet patients. In half-awake sleep, I often heard their urgent pounding on the door, then the rustle of my mom slipping out of the mosquito net. Next came chaos: cold air, the parent’s heavy breath, the child’s hiccups, musty smell of sweat; then all quieted before my mom’s reassuring voice. Still, the curtain troubled me greatly, being on “the other side.” My mom never fully belonged to me until she drew that tattered piece of white cloth to shield us from vulnerability and sickness.

Peeking and squinting, I picked up random pieces of her conversations and filled in an 11-year-old fantasy for the rest. One time, I thought she must have been a folktale’s fairy, for she spoke magic words that made people smile. Many patients came and left happily, with only a grateful handshake as the doctor’s fee. But that night I saw her urgent face. She did not return till the next morning, and as I insisted, told me that the boy had flown away with the incense on his altar. It was the first time she had lost a child. After that, afraid for my young mind in the heavy environment of the clinic, she left me at home. Still, I could not help feeling deserted. The white curtain had cemented between us, crystallized in it my mother's toil and the time we lost because she was always too busy. I had lingered too long behind the pink looking glass until reality surged forth: the dying boy, my mother's veined hands and the three dollars she was paid for a sleepless night. I wanted to try.

My first attempt in the kitchen took my mom’s breath, not because of the burned rice but because of my sudden eagerness (the cooking matured with time, till I could finally whisk out dinner without any major injury). Every night, I tried my best to great her with little care, like a clean house, a hot bath, sometimes even piano melodies. To spare her three hours driving everyday, I ploughed seven miles through Hanoi’s spilling traffic to school and advanced classes, proudly swaying my butt up and down on an adult’s bicycle. Those weekly lonely night turned out not to be so bad, for I had fun cooking and my mom had fun directing me through the phone. I did not have to possess her for myself to treasure these moments. The white curtain melted.

Now we are in America; I have outgrown that little uncomfortable corner and my mom does not have to suffer from any more restless nights. Still, an 11-year-old’s memory dies hard. I missed my old looking glass, the small holes through which life is wrapped in a nutshell. It will always be there to remind me that I have only witnessed the tip of the iceberg, and that I cannot afford to be just a spectator, blindfolded behind an outworn curtain of fantasy.

To Sơn: Your essay flows very nicely. However, I think you spend too many words describing the evening while too little decribing the experience itself. You show your readers the you before and the you after, but lack of the you between. I have struggled to write about the exchange experience before, but..well...I just could not express myself. You have done a much better job than I could with this topic.

To D.Hương: It's so awesome that you have been to South Africa before (I'm jealous). It must be a great experience, as I always think of Africa as a very aloof and mysterious land. If only had you gone a bit deper in describing your trip. Just don't know why but I feel your essay is a bit superficial (but it also depends on the type of question you have, if that piece is just a short answer, then it is great) It's just my own opinion, and I'm notorious for lengthy writing and unnecessary words (which is even worse).

To T.Hương: How are you doing with your Mac's Culture essay? I did not realize that Mac required that essay until the last minute (as you have known) -> My answer is...well...I think...horribly trite. I will post it here for more comments.

To Papa: Will you contribute yours as well? I'm interested in your Class President essay and your $10 trip report. Of course, only if you don't mind sharing them.

To Trang A: I have not seen any fault in your essay yet, and I love it (Btw, is it your last year's application essay or this year's transfer essay?) It's both vivid and sincere, and also bares a personal touch. Btw, I have never known that your mother worked in a clinic before (and always think that she worked in a big hospital). And your 4th paragraph reminds me of the mess we made at your house and the time we cycling through the traffic together (though I did not have many extra classes with you). I also remember calling you "anh hùng xa lộ" for your effort to get home in time to watch Ninja Robot. Do you still keep all of your own writing about Promina, Terry, Jenny, and so on? (Oops, I am chatting)

All of the essays here are so good. I am losing my hope now :((

This is my essay for Mac - the one about Cuture Obstacles.

Describe a situation where you have had to work or closely associate with someone from a culture very different from you own. What challenges did you face and how did you resolve them?

“I cannot stand another day being woken up by your alarm at this time in the morning. It drives me crazy,” yelled Irene in a half sleepy, half irritated voice from under her blanket.

“But breakfast starts at seven thirty and all four of us have to share the same bathroom.” I had tried to be as calm as I could, but still my voice was shaking with surprise and bewilderment.

“We used to get up at seven before you came here,” explained Alice, who had already climbed down from her bed to stop the quarrel. “It might be a bit hurry-scurry, but we had half an hour more to sleep.”

“Why couldn’t you tell me that earlier?” I lowered my voice to ask, still being confused; but this time, there was no answer.

Alice walked out of the room with her brush and towel, Irene slowly curled up into sleep, and Ryan, who had not said anything from the beginning, just remained silent. If only had we known what was wrong.

That morning, I came to realize how difficult it could be to excel the art of living together.

It was two summers ago and I was supposed to be enjoying my one-month trimester at Dauntsey’s Boarding School (England); but everything did not turn out as perfect as it should have been. The school was a great community for multicultural interaction among students coming from many different parts of the world. From this perspective, I had successfully introduced a fascinating Vietnam of the attractive long-dress and the delicious spring-roll to my international friends; and thus, accomplished the mission of a culture ambassador. Sharing boarding life, however, was much more complicated. I was placed in a dorm with three other students (Alice of Ireland, Irene of Ukraine, and Ryan of England) who had been studying together at Dauntsey’s for years. Everything went perfectly fine at first and we were all eager to learn more about the others. But as the initial excitement gradually died out, with time grew an unexplainable uneasiness in our relationship. One month was too long for me to be just a guest, yet not enough so that I could break the culture barrier and become a true member of the school’s community. The problem became even worse when we all had to cope with the inevitable conflicts of everyday life; and only then did I truly understand how difficult it was to master the art of compromising and living together. There were laughter when I came and tears when I departed, still I left England in a mixed emotion of sweet and bitter feelings.

Back to Vietnam, my life had changed so subtly that it took me months to realize what I was looking for. I had been used to being an almost-perfect figure in the eyes of my friends, whose thoughts and feelings could not be so much different from my own. I had flourished in a familiar community where every body spoke the same language, shared the same culture, and appreciated the same values. I had been a princess thriving on the love and care of my parents and teachers. The world which I encountered that summer, however, was so much bigger and so much different. There were many things that I did not know; and there were many things that I wanted to learn. Was it the missing jigsaw of my perfectionism? Was it what had changed my life? I was looking for a chance.

The harsh side of the experience in England, thus, played an important role in my decision to take part in the one-year exchange program in America. Once again taking the opportunity to share not only my culture but also my own life with a new family in a new community, I hoped to practice and enhance my social adaptability and my living skills, while at the same time learning to respect the difference between various cultures. This time I have much more than one month to adjust myself; but compromising is still the key to harmony and understanding. Upon living with my dear old American grandmother, I have learned to share and agree. Our relationship, which I have come to greatly appreciate, is built not only on our endless discussions on the American and Vietnamese cultures or our happy time cooking and cleaning together on Sunday mornings but also on the hard effort we make to accept the other’s weakness and to solve our puzzle of daily-life conflicts. At school, I am now no longer just a mere exchange student at Valley but a Valley Indian who is proud put on the color of gold and purple and proud to contribute a touch of multiculturalism to the school community. There are also times when things do not go right, still this is one of the most awarding years of my life.

My exposure to different cultures have taught me to appreciate many interesting aspects of being a Vietnamese in an international environment; and I am still seeking for opportunities to explore new perspectives and improve myself, both academically and personally, in such exciting communities. I am still searching for other jigsaws of my life.

And this is my Why Swarthmore?

I believe that Swarthmore’s liberal arts philosophy offers its students the opportunity to pursue a wide range of intellectual interests while its highly-regarded and unique engineering program provides a best education in my area of long-time passion. I believe that the rigorous academic challenges at Swarthmore provoke, nurture, and support individual creativity and innovation. I believe that the diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds represented on a small-size campus allow Swatties to freely express their ideas while learning from different perspectives in an intimate and intellectual environment. I believe that Swarthmore is the place for me to explore not only the world but also myself.

November 18, 2004

Walking out of Professor Caskey’s ECON 022: Banking and Financial Markets class, I am lost in my flow of thoughts. The lecture, which was on factors that affect the monetary exchange rates, links my mind to the issue to which I have long been attracted and thus, opens up for me a new perspective on how the newly-found Vietnamese stock market has and will affect the country’s economy. In retrospect, my interest in economics has grown much during my last two years in high school; yet I was unable to study the subject systematically since both of my schools in Vietnam and America did not offer any courses in the field. Until now, I can still remember how extremely difficult it got sometimes when I independently pored over the piles of AP economics books during my high-school senior year with limited resources and no instructions. Swarthmore, on the other hand, provides its students with not only the best, up-to-date facilities to study the field but also the most interactive academic environment to expand and deepen their knowledge. That fact, thus, reminds me of Professor Caskey’s remark on Professor Westphal’s study of Asian economies. His research is much related to my own concern and therefore, is so fascinating that I plan to return to the department later in the day to ask whether he could help with my independent research on the Vietnamese now-changing financial and banking system.

After an exciting conversation during lunch with a Korean friend on how Korean movies have affected the Vietnamese urban society in recent years, I spend most of my afternoon in the Computer Science department. This semester, I initially take courses in computer vision and algorithms only to continue pursuing my long-time interest in computer science, which has once been my official academic major in high school. However, captivated by Professor Wicentowski’s research on computational linguistics (in high school, my friends and I attempted to build an English-Vietnamese translation software, yet we did not succeed), I seriously consider participating in his research team after finishing important related courses. The project will require a lot of independent study and innovative work at the level of a major study; therefore, having to choose between a major in computer science and a major in economics will be one of the most difficult decisions in my life. The good thing, however, is that I do not have to make that painful decision before the end of my sophomore year and in the meantime, I am free to take advantage of the liberal arts education that Swarthmore offers. Even better news: The college allows its students to pursue double-majored degrees (or minor degrees in economics) through the rigorous honors program, which challenge is also a valuable opportunity. Still, at Swarthmore and its partner colleges, there are always more than one way for students to combine their academic passions: I am thinking of taking a cross-college course in information management at Penn’s Wharton School of Business next semester.

Leaving the library in the late afternoon and heading for the last puzzle of my day, I envision a heated discussion on 20th century Asian culture with other Swatties at the dining table and a relaxing practice time on my own in the Lang Music Building. There will also be an informal meeting of the Asian Association before dinner time to discuss our plan of an International Night on campus. The rest of the evening, of course, will be study time. And if everything works out well, I will reward myself with a little break at Paces to savor a hot coffee cup and relish the beauty of the campus’ night. Coming up for Saturday is a Swarthmore-made concert and Sunday is waiting with a little adventure to the Old City Philadelphia. A gust of cold winter wind suddenly sweeps over the Crum and disrupts my thought; yet at Swarthmore, the heat of enthusiasm still spreads out like a contagious fervor. I stop for a short moment, take a deep breath, then walk faster toward a busy evening.

I am so interested in your essay about boarding school life!!! I still have 5 more months standing my f*%$&#g roommate. Now, I have to get used to her schedule. Go to bed when she finishes talking on the phone and feels sleepy. Wake up when it is still dark and she needs to take a shower and make up. Everymorning, she is so loud that I think there must be something collapsed or several girls fighting in my room. Oh my gosh!!!

Your essay sounds perfect to me :D oh, btw, the essay on my South Africa trip is just for the short question on an activity that means the most to me. :D

It seems that my essays are too short.. :( I start feeling so nervous.

Trang Nguyen đã viết:
I ploughed seven miles through Hanoi’s spilling traffic to school and advanced classes, proudly swaying my butt up and down on an adult’s bicycle.

I like this sentence a lot, though for an admissions essay, "sway your butt" is kinda inappropriate.

This essay is very well-written. Hope u'll get into wherever u want.

Trang Nguyen đã viết:

-----------------------
“Keep his head cool! Let's go!" My mother strained her voice above the wails. Clutching the curtain, I peered through its small holes at the panicked farmers, their arms clumsily wrapping around the twisted child with pastel cheeks and flickering eyelids. Nippy Hanoi wind rushed in as they dashed out of the Pediatric Emergency Clinic and crammed into my mom’s 40cc motorcycle. The chugging trailed off. I said a prayer, hugged my knees and waited.

An only child of a divorced doctor, I accompanied my mom four nights a month to the clinic, literally a wooden box floating in the acrid smells of antibiotic. A white curtain divided the room in halves. On one side, the doctor’s bed cluttered up with piles of faded medical records, while a table, three chairs and a sink occupied the rest of the space to meet patients. In half-awake sleep, I often heard their urgent pounding on the door, then the rustle of my mom slipping out of the mosquito net. Next came chaos: cold air, the parent’s heavy breath, the child’s hiccups, musty smell of sweat; then all quieted before my mom’s reassuring voice. Still, the curtain troubled me greatly, being on “the other side.” My mom never fully belonged to me until she drew that tattered piece of white cloth to shield us from vulnerability and sickness.

Peeking and squinting, I picked up random pieces of her conversations and filled in an 11-year-old fantasy for the rest. One time, I thought she must have been a folktale’s fairy, for she spoke magic words that made people smile. Many patients came and left happily, with only a grateful handshake as the doctor’s fee. But that night I saw her urgent face. She did not return till the next morning, and as I insisted, told me that the boy had flown away with the incense on his altar. It was the first time she had lost a child. After that, afraid for my young mind in the heavy environment of the clinic, she left me at home. Still, I could not help feeling deserted. The white curtain had cemented between us, crystallized in it my mother's toil and the time we lost because she was always too busy. I had lingered too long behind the pink looking glass until reality surged forth: the dying boy, my mother's veined hands and the three dollars she was paid for a sleepless night. I wanted to try.

My first attempt in the kitchen took my mom’s breath, not because of the burned rice but because of my sudden eagerness (the cooking matured with time, till I could finally whisk out dinner without any major injury). Every night, I tried my best to great her with little care, like a clean house, a hot bath, sometimes even piano melodies. To spare her three hours driving everyday, I ploughed seven miles through Hanoi’s spilling traffic to school and advanced classes, proudly swaying my butt up and down on an adult’s bicycle. Those weekly lonely night turned out not to be so bad, for I had fun cooking and my mom had fun directing me through the phone. I did not have to possess her for myself to treasure these moments. The white curtain melted.

Now we are in America; I have outgrown that little uncomfortable corner and my mom does not have to suffer from any more restless nights. Still, an 11-year-old’s memory dies hard. I missed my old looking glass, the small holes through which life is wrapped in a nutshell. It will always be there to remind me that I have only witnessed the tip of the iceberg, and that I cannot afford to be just a spectator, blindfolded behind an outworn curtain of fantasy.

I like this essay a lot. I can tell that you write with sincerity. I can also see your attempts to go to details in descriptions, which is a great way to make your essay deep.
Just a little concern: Do you use Thesaurus for this essay? It could be a bit simpler.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
@ Trang Nguyen: Since I want to add this essay to our E-HAO's writings, I have actually read it carefully. After reading it carefully, I have to say that this essay needs further elaboration Although you have very good intention and you tried to show it in an artistic way, sometimes the use of English is misleading to readers and makes it hard for them to understand.
For example: I don't get it when you talked about the white curtain between you and your Mom. As I understand, that curtain only appears when you are with your Mom in the clinic. I don't know why you mention it again when in fact she began to leave you at home?
Also, I can see you efforts to use a lot of colloquial words to make it flow naturally. I appreciate it. But flowery writings sometimes can kill you, especially when you don't master the words that well. Americans are different from other Westerners in that they always appreciate something simple, although sophisticated writing is great, too. Think about it, admission officers read tons of application essays a day. It would be a great help if you could make it a little bit clearer for them, even at the expense of being simpler.
One last note: I think you should rethink abt the part where you said you greet your Mom with hot bath, piano's melodies. Isn't that too luxurious for those who earned only 3 bucks out of a sleepless night?

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Back
Bên trên