How does an ideal city look?

These are 2 models of an almost perfect city. Which one do you vote for?

Đính kèm

• salt lake city, utah.jpg
    salt lake city, utah.jpg
    96.3 KB · Xem: 7
  • central park whole view.jpg
    central park whole view.jpg
    11.2 KB · Xem: 9
Neither, since I can't seem to see what makes them so special. In the pictures, the two cities basically look like any other city would in a picture taken from above. I mean, have you seen how outrageously clean and modern Hanoi looks in these kind of shots? And it's actually funny that you have a picture of Central Park up there. I love New York to pieces, but ideal? :-/ And is that Utah I see? ::squints:: Private joke... 8-}

Seriously though, I'm not really sure what is meant by 'ideal city'. Is this just a hypothetical concept about a level of development that mankind has yet to reach? It is very difficult to imagine that we can ever come to a stage where we can safely say that all our problems have been resolved and there is no where left to go but up, because it seems that there is always room for improvement, not least in a city.

On the other hand, if the ideal city is one that already exists today (ideal in terms that it is superior to its comtemporaries?), I would think that cities like Singapore are pretty high on the list. However, it is interesting to note that most people when asked would not list any of these in their list of favorite cities (except if they lived there). Again, like me and New York. We are somehow drawn to imperfections and the challenges they pose, wouldn't you think?

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Good points. Very nice comments on pictures taken from such angle, although it sounds exaggerated.
Anyway, take it easy. The concept 'Ideal city' mentioned here, as I perceived, is nowhere near that utopian. It's more like what you really want your city looks like, sort of Sim City with some twists :D.
BTW, Singapore aint that perfect. It may appear too overcrowded and 'asian' to some.

Why is being too 'asian' bad? Others would say that it is the perfect mixture of tradition and modernism. Me, I just chalk up the fact that Singapore is weirdly clean and has strict laws. Ten points for the merlion!

hmm , i like the right one better :p
and btw, personal thought ,trict laws dont come with an ideal city and vice versa :p

thanks for ur comments. I am working on the paper about where to place gardens and parks. That's why I want to see which one you prefer, the model of Central Park or the idea of private gardens and small parks in every community in Utah.

I prefer the former since green is everywhere. I bet Our Hanoi cannot have an image like this taken from the same angle.
btw, Huong can you post here more pics of U.S cities,that will be cool for who havent been to America :D

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
For a city, the Central Park model is better. Salt Lake City looks more like a sleepy little town that has overgrown its primary purpose to me.

Back
Bên trên