Euthanasia – Choice of life and death - Written by Nguyễn Đăng Trung

Đinh Trọng Tiến Dũng
(Jack)

Điều hành viên
Euthanasia – Choice of life and death (to be editted)

Euthanasia – Choice of life and death

Have you ever thought of killing yourself, or even hurting yourself physically? The answer for most of us is probably no, but think again, if you were suffering unbearable pain everyday from a disease that can not be cured, or living a life of a vegetable. What would you do?

The term “euthanasia” basically refers to the act of intentional killing (with out pain) of a dependant human being for his or her alleged benefit. It can be voluntary (at the patient’s request), non-voluntary (without the knowledge or consent of the patient) or even involuntary (against the patient’s wishes). Not only now that the treatment of “the ones we know that can not be saved” has become an overspread argument. For many centuries it has been a problem catching the eyes of people around the world, from doctors to patients, from monks to priests, from nobles to farmers. There has been supporting ideas as well as arguments against the act, and everybody seems to have their reasons right. Though it seems to be an endless debate, let’s take a deeper look into some of the arguments to have a clearer view of the matter.

For the ones who support euthanasia, it is a merciful act towards the suffering patients, and also because human beings control their own lives, they should have the right to die when and how they want to. Although medical science had improved significantly in the last century, it has yet to cure all diseases, cancer or HIV/AIDS for instance. People who are in the last stage of these diseases normally suffer from extreme pain and most of them would want to give up the fight against death, as they will lose it anyway. In other cases, people could have a heavy accident or a heart attack which left them living in the state of unconsciousness, permanent brain damage or completely paralyzed. For them it is impossible to say what they want, but for many others what is the difference between having a “dead body but still breathing” in bed and a “real dead body” in a coffin anyway, not to mention a quite large amount of money they have to pay to run the machines to keep the dead body alive. Therefore, euthanasia may also be necessary for the fair distribution of medical resources, and as it will eventually occur in some cases then it’s better to allow it and regulate it properly.

While the supporting ideas of euthanasia mainly based on individual rights and even financial reasons, the people against it have their view on humanity and religious points. For them, first of all, euthanasia is a rejection of the importance and value, as well as social respect to human life. Accepting euthanasia would be the same as accepting that some lives (of those who are disabled of sick) are worthless than the others. They fear that it could lead to less good care for the terminally ill as it would undermines the commitment and motivation of doctors and nurses to save lives. Euthanasia would also expose vulnerable people to pressure to end their lives, like the elderly or patients who are abandoned by their families. Therefore, there’s no way of properly regulating euthanasia.

Euthanasia is always opposed by religious movements, especially Christians, as it is against “the word and will of God”. Human life is sacred because it is a gift from God, therefore under no circumstances should it be deliberately taken, except in self-defense situations. The Islamic view of euthanasia is more or less the same, with the belief of “God Allah had created everything”. Only Buddhists’ position to the matter is less clear, as they regard death as a transition and deceased person will be reborn into a new life. While there had been many stories of monks committing suicide, and it was used as a political weapon by the Vietnamese monks during the Vietnam War, it is considered best for normal people to avoid suicide.

Until now there are only two countries in the world which had accepted euthanasia: the Netherlands and Belgium. Elsewhere, it’s also allowed in the Northern Territory of Australia and the act of “physician-assisted suicide” (close to “voluntary euthanasia”) was also legalized in the state of Oregon, USA. In many countries, especially western countries, there are movements every year to promote euthanasia, or urge the government at least to allow patients to die by their own will. The current situation seems it will still take a long time to find the best solution.

Now let’s come back to the question at the beginning of the topic. I hope you have found an answer and know what to do if you yourself or your love ones were in that unwanted position. In fact, it would best if you never have to make those kinds of decisions at all, but in life who knows? Whatever your answer turns out to be, you must never forget the value and preciousness of life, you must fight for it even with the slightest chances remained. Because at the end, what else is more important than our existence?

(Used information and facts from the internet)

*This article is by no means supporting the idea of euthanasia or suicide.
Written by Nguyen Dang Trung (CE 04-07)

hey I actually have written a small paper on this during my first year, pretty interesting topic, al I remember is that I supported the idea of doctor-aided suicide ~o) too bad I don't know if I still keep the paper.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
im sorry i couldnt read the whole thing :D the eye lens on my glasses are pretty thick right now and i dont want to increase it :D
but im pretty sure that if im sick and in a lot of pain, i wouldnt want to keep living without any hope. so would you rather let me die and be happy than live and be hurt
( ko hiểu cái đống trên đây mình viết có đúng ngữ pháp kô :)) )

but im pretty sure that if im sick and in a lot of pain, i wouldnt want to keep living without any hope. so would you rather let me die and be happy than live and be hurt

how are u sure that u don't have any hope?...also how can u say that future stores no better happiness for you than death?...and again this is very subjective to say

I'm a pro-choice person, however it doesn't forbid me to give people advice...and my belief is that there's always hope, and there'd always be a way out.

wat do u guys think?

Now let’s come back to the question at the beginning of the topic. I hope you have found an answer and know what to do if you yourself or your love ones were in that unwanted position. In fact, it would best if you never have to make those kinds of decisions at all, but in life who knows? Whatever your answer turns out to be, you must never forget the value and preciousness of life, you must fight for it even with the slightest chances remained. Because at the end, what else is more important than our existence?

by the way, very meaningful and deliberate conclusion....

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Back
Bên trên