Isn't this girl amazing? :)

Nguyễn Quỳnh My
(nguyenquynhmy)

Thành viên danh dự
Vietnamese girl wins 2004 intl poetry contest

(11-03-2005)

A twelve-year-old student from HCM City, Hoang Le Quynh Nhu, won first prize in the 2004 International Online Free Poetry Contest for her poem The World.

Her poem beat out more than 1,000 entries from around the world to win the top prize which consists of a silver cup worth US$200 and $20,000 in cash..

Nhu said she was inspired by the terrifying images of the war in Iraq and wanted to compose a poem about world peace.

"When I watched the bloody scenes of little Iraqi boys and girls getting shot on TV, I saw something in their eyes and thought to myself it looked like they were telling me something," she said.

She said she spent just 15 minutes composing her poem, which speaks hopefully of a world without war, guns or diseases.

The World
by Hoang Le Quynh Nhu

The world we live
The world for peace
The world not include war
The world for children
For people, for everyone
The world we call "Greenpeace"
The world for volunteer
The world for warm heart
The world for poor people to live
The world that no one outrun
The world no gun
We leave the gun
We take the poor people in our life
We accept the AIDS people
We look after them
We do not leave them alone
The world of right people. -EARTH!

Dr Len Roberts, chairman of the judging panel, said even the toughest of the contest’s judges were inspired by the girl’s poem. The online contest, hosted by www.poetry.com, gave prizes to 36 poets.

"Nhu is the oldest of my two children," said her mother Do Thi Lan. "Though she seems rather quiet and introverted, she is still a normal kid, like her friends. But what makes Nhu special is her natural gift for writing."

The mother added that her daughter always ranked first at writing contests at school. Poet Tran Dang Khoa, who was a child prodigy at 10, is Nhu’s favourite author.

Touch of Tomorrow, a published collection of the contest’s 224 best poems which will be released later this year, places Nhu’s poem on the first page.

The seventh grader also recently signed a 20-year contract with the US company, Deluxe Hardbound to allow the publishing house to include her poem in its soon-to-be published collection The Sound of Poetry. According to the contract, Nhu will receive an annual sum of at least $1,000 and an additional 30 per cent from copyrights if the book is reproduced — VNS

Có 1 chuyện từ hồi xưa, đại khái là các nước XHCN có tổ chức thi thiếu nhi viết truyện. Một trong mấy giải nhất (của nước nào không rõ) nói về 1 đứa bé mù. Đại khái là nó đi chơi với lớp ra xem bình minh trên biển, nhưng các bạn tả mãi nó ko hình dung được. Cuối cùng cô giáo nói bình minh giống như nụ hôn của mẹ cho em buổi sáng, thế là đứa bé hiểu ra ngay.

Punch line: VN cũng được 1 giải nhất hay nhì gì đó, kể chuyện thành tích hợp tác xã quê em. :))

Anyway, amazing indeed.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Dang Hoang Vu đã viết:
Có 1 chuyện từ hồi xưa, đại khái là các nước XHCN có tổ chức thi thiếu nhi viết truyện. Một trong mấy giải nhất (của nước nào không rõ) nói về 1 đứa bé mù. Đại khái là nó đi chơi với lớp ra xem bình minh trên biển, nhưng các bạn tả mãi nó ko hình dung được. Cuối cùng cô giáo nói bình minh giống như nụ hôn của mẹ cho em buổi sáng, thế là đứa bé hiểu ra ngay.

Punch line: VN cũng được 1 giải nhất hay nhì gì đó, kể chuyện thành tích hợp tác xã quê em. :))

Anyway, amazing indeed.

Vũ, had u decided to come to Williams, I would be able to tell you why this girl is amazing :)

The world we live
The world for peace
The world not include war
The world for children
For people, for everyone
The world we call "Greenpeace"
The world for volunteer
The world for warm heart
The world for poor people to live
The world that no one outrun
The world no gun
We leave the gun
We take the poor people in our life
We accept the AIDS people
We look after them
We do not leave them alone
The world of right people. -EARTH!
It's the ideas that moved the judge. The words don't even rhyme. I think there should also be a standardization to poem's structure

It's the ideas that moved the judge. The words don't even rhyme. I think there should also be a standardization to poem's structure
They do not have to rhyme. A concensus on the structure of an English poem no longer exists. The definition of poetry has vastly changed in the last 50 years. As a matter of fact, the mainstream American poetry now resolves around Def Jam Poetry, something very similar to modern hip hop.
Anyway, sis My, do you mind telling me why and how amazing this girl is? :)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Trần Vũ Toàn đã viết:

I actually found a sing-song tone in that girl's poem...:) for a 12-year old, that's incredible =D>

Well, whatever, to me the incredibility still lies in her ideas :)
They do not have to rhyme. A concensus on the structure of an English poem no longer exists. The definition of poetry has vastly changed in the last 50 years. As a matter of fact, the mainstream American poetry now resolves around Def Jam Poetry, something very similar to modern hip hop.
Right, but you still wanna listen to some lyrics or read some poems that rhyme, don't you? :D
I actually found a sing-song tone in that girl's poem...
Then please send me the tabs, I'm gonna try to write some background music, that may make some money

just read it out loud and you will find it similar to "đồng dao," at least that's how i feel

nguyen quynh my đã viết:
Vũ, had u decided to come to Williams, I would be able to tell you why this girl is amazing :)
What, how you know? By teh way, you at Williams? Is nice there? =D>

Back
Bên trên