i am the second richest for i was a dropout

Nguyễn Hà Phương
(phhn)

BQL CLB Du học
this is a wonderful article, i think

I am the Second Richest,
for I Was a Dropout

The following is a transcript of the speech delivered by Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle Corporation, at the Yale University in July 2000. Ellison is the 2nd Richest Man on the Planet, evaluated by Fortune magazine.

Graduates of Yale University, I apologize if you have endured this type of prologue before, but I want you to do something for me. Please, take a good look around you. Look at the classmate on your left. Look at the classmate on your right. Now, consider this: Five years from now, 10 years from now, even 30 years from now, odds are the person on your left is going to be a loser.
The person on your right, meanwhile, will also be a loser. And you, in the middle? What can you expect? Loser. Loserhood. Loser Cum Laude. "In fact, as I look out before me today, I don't
see a thousand hopes for a bright tomorrow. I don't see a thousand future leaders in a thousand industries. I see a thousand losers.

You're upset. That's understandable. After all, how can I, Lawrence 'Larry' Ellison, college dropout, have the audacity to spout such heresy to the graduating class of one of the nation's most prestigious institutions? I'll tell you why. Because I, Lawrence "Larry" Ellison, second richest man on the planet, am a college dropout, and you are not.

Because Bill Gates, richest man on the planet -- for now, anyway -- is a college dropout, and you are not. "Because Paul Allen, the third richest man on the planet, dropped out of college, and you did not. "And for good measure, because Michael Dell, No. 9 on the list and moving up fast, is a college dropout, and you, yet again, are not." "Hmm.. You're very upset. That's understandable.
So let me stroke your egos for a moment by pointing out, quite sincerely, that your diplomas were not attained in vain. Most of you, I imagine, have spent four to five years here, and in many ways what you've learned and endured will serve you well in the years ahead. You've established good work habits. You've established a network of people that will help you down the road. And you've established what will be lifelong relationships with the word 'therapy.' All that of is good. For in truth, you will need that network. You will need those strong work habits. You will need that therapy.

You will need them because you didn't drop out, and so you will never be among the richest people in the world. Oh sure, you may, perhaps, work your way up to No. 10 or No. 11, like Steve Ballmer. But then, I don't have to tell you who he really works for, do I? And for the record, he dropped out of grad school. Bit of a late bloomer.
Finally, I realize that many of you, and hopefully by now most of you, are wondering, 'Is there anything I can do? Is there any hope for me at all?' Actually, no. It's too late. You've absorbed too much, think you know too much. You're not 19 anymore. You have a built-in cap, and I'm not referring to the mortar boards on your heads.

Hmm... you're really very upset. That's understandable. So perhaps this would be a good time to bring up the silver lining. Not for you, Class of '00. You are a write-off, so I'll let you slink off to your pathetic $200,000-a-year jobs, where your checks will be signed by former classmates who dropped out two years ago.

Instead, I want to give hope to any underclassmen here today. I say to you, and I can't stress this enough: leave. Pack your things and your ideas and don't come back. Drop out. Start up.
"For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as surely as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me dow...

what 'bout the speech by mr Larry Ellison?

actually , his speech was terminated by yale university staff, i don't remember clearly

but i think no teacher or prof of a university wants his students to hear such speech,

in any circumstances. Thus he may have been politely requested to stop

:D anh what if he haven't , we may have much more good-for-our-future words, right?

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
actually ,is it always neccessary to gradute from a school with a good reputation to

be successfully in life???

There are plenty of successful people who didn't

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Just have a few words, after all the stuffs you wrote above, can I ask you a simple question : What will you do after you finish your high school??? Go on universities or quit in order to find success ?:)

to tuan:hì, i personally think that almost all this-kind-of -successful persons do not

even know what will become of him or hẻr aftẻr graduating from high schools, they
have the natural ability to become successful that even themselves don't know or
haven't realized yet. HÌ , hope i'm in thís case:D:D

but i can't guarantee or perharps haven't realized that i have a speacial ability to manage my life without some directions.(like bill gates or Larry Ellison , and there is only one bill gates , one honda , one lary ellison , right?)What i try to say is that an undergradute or even postgradute , PhD qualification do not guarantee anyone a successful business or achievements in science. And those who do not quite succeed in academic fields will not neccessarily be unsuccessful in life

so i'll go on to uni, hope i 'll find my special ability then b-) even if my ranking is miserable in uni 8-}

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
High School -- Why Bill Gates Wasn't Popular?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Americans are fascinated with alternatives, starting from music genre to life styles. That is no longer a surprise to us at ZS who have lived through the culture shock of attending American High Schools. From firsthand experiences, we can tell you that American High School presents a world of difference from that of China.

So what is the biggest shock of all, you might ask? Well, if we were to say one thing and one thing only, it would be this:

School system in China promotes hard work and high academic achievements. As a result of that, those who are popular and admired the most tend to be those who consistently rank #1 on exams for all subjects, and therefore the most likely candidates to attend the few prestigious universities in the country. Teachers doted on them, and peers respected them. As a teen in China, all a kid has to worry about is study and conform to that standard of excellence, then life will be simply peachy.

However, the picture looks quite different here. The biggest challenge that faces an American teen here is not grades but rather the search for and the establishment of his/her identity - who you are and what makes you different from the rest in the crowds. In an American High School, scores are considered private matters, and are never announced publicly. Although a persona's smartness is often obvious, unless you blab about your perfect GPA, no one, including your peers in the same class would know. So who were those popular guys/gals in HS?

Well, it is those who stand out from their peers and shine because of their individuality and unique achievements. Most often, they are sports stars who excel and take home trophies on be half of the school. They are people who traveled extensively outside of US to other regions of the world, and are resourceful and smart. They are people who dare to take unique positions on various issues. Even alternative life styles are considered hip, because most often Gays/Lesbians are considered more creative and artsy. Simply put: to be different is good and the courage to do so is very much admired.

Now you can imagine why the world's most successful businessman and the wealthiest man Mr. Bill Gates were considered a nerd while in HS - his creativity and talents were not evident yet through his thick glasses and the endless hours spent staring at a computer screen. No girls would have wanted to date him. Sorry!

To be fair, we are not for or against either value system. As many of those popular personalities in HS became nameless in the crowd, others still shined. The take away is that being different from the main stream is well appreciated in the American HS culture as well as the American society in general. To dare to be different takes a lot of courage, and being different and great at the same time is definitely NOT an easy task!

Now, imagine you were a HS student applying for college admission in the US, what would your answers be to the following most often asked question on a college application:

"Please tell the admission about yourself and how you are different from your peers?” (Hint: No reference to high GPA is necessary here. That information is evident on the transcript!)

cuộc sống có rất nhiều nẻo đường và con đường đại học không phải là duy nhất. Đó là chân lí mà tôi tin rằng bạn hiểu rõ hơn ai hết.

hì, hôm nay mình hâm hay sao y nhỉ?

the first article sounds really nice and inspiring to me b-) , until I made the mistake of thinking a little bit :lol:.
"For I can tell you that a cap and gown will keep you down just as surely as these security guards dragging me off this stage are keeping me dow...
It is unlikely that Yale will 'politely' force the 2nd richest man in the world to stop this way :p.
After checking out this for a while, I came up with this
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/e/ellison-yale.htm
Anyway, itz such a pleasure to read this piece of satire. :> =D> Thumb way up, cheers! BTW, whatz up with all the posts? u kinda like to triple-post at once :p

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
hic, khac son, u make me so embarassed

but even if this one is , so to say, untrue, don't u think that it's a good fiction. HÌ , not many fictions touch me as this one does

Btw, any one knows what does CEO mean, is that CHIEF ECONS OFFICER,i remember reading sw CIO means CHIEF information oficer. can u guys give me some clues

hi , to khac son , this time i'll post only twice , because i'm very lazy , each time i log on i try to be "productive". sounds silly ??

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Nah, CEO is Chief Executive something... officer could be right, but my memory is a bit hazy...

Hoang Chi Mai đã viết:
Nah, CEO is Chief Executive something... officer could be right, but my memory is a bit hazy...

CEO is Chief Executive Officer

Anyway, good luck to all of you !!! Hope you will find your success one way or another !!! But I think there is another common thing between Gates, Allen, Ellison... ( not just they are all very rich and were college dropout) is that they have a dream inside, willing to work extremly hard in the way that they choose in order to make that dream come true ! That is what we should learn, do you think?

This is how bill gates made hic dream comes true
(I cut some technical details that are unnecessary )

(chapter 1 : a revolution begins, the road ahead , bill gates( a wonderful book)

My parents paid my tuition at Lakeside and gave me money for books , but I have to take care of my own computer-time bills. This is what drove me to the commercial side of the software business .

…..

We believed we could come up with new and innovative software . And why not? The microprocessor would change the structure of the industry . Maybe there was a place for the two of us.

This kind of talk is what college is all about.you have all kinds of new experiences, and dream crazy dreams. We were young and assumed we had all the time in the world. I enrolled for another year at Havard and kept thinking about how we could get a software company going . One plan is pretty simple . We sent letters from my dorm room to all the big computers company, offering to write them a version of BASIC for the new Intel chip . We got no takers ,. By December , we were pretty discouraged. I was planning to fly h0ome to Seattle for the holidays, and Paul was staying in Boston . On an achingly cold Massachusetts morning a few days before I left, Paul and I were hanging out at the Harvard Square newsstand, and Paul pick up the January issue of Popular Electronics .This is the moment I describes at the beginning of the Foreword. This gave reality to our dream about the future.

On the magazine’s cover was a photograph of a very small computer, not much larger than a toaster oven …. .What the Altar (name of the small computer)did have was an Intel 8080 microprocessor chip as its brain. When we saw that panic set in . “Oh no! It’s happening out us! People are going to write real software for this chip”. I was sure it would happen sooner rather than late r , and I wanted to be involved from the beginning . The chance to get in on the first stages of the PC revolution seemed the opportunity of a life time , and I seized it.

…..

Writing good software requires a lot of concentration, and writing BASIC for the Altar was exhausting. Sometimes I rock back and forth or pace when I’m thinking , because it helps me focus on a single idea and exclude distractions. I did a lot of rocking and pacing in my dorm room the winter of 1975. Paul and I didn’t sleep much and lost track of night and day. When I did fall asleep , it was often at my desk or on the floor . Some days I didn’t eat or see anyone. But after 5 weeks, our BASIC was written – and the world ‘s first microcomputer software company was born . IN time we named it MICROSOFT.

…..

We knew getting a company started would mean sacrifice. But we also realized we had to do it then or forever lose the opportunity to make it in microcomputer software. IN the spring of 1975, Paul quit his programming job and I decided to go on leave from Harvard .

…..

My plan was to take time off , start the company, and then go back later to finish college . I never really made a conscious reason forgo a degree. Technically , I’m just on a really long leave. Unlike some students, I loved college . I thought it was fun to sit around and talk with so many smart people of my age. However I felt the window of opportunity to start a software company might not open again . So I dove into the world of business when I was 19 years old.

……

People asked me to explain Microsoft ‘s success. They want to know the secret of getting from a two – man , shoestring operation to a company with 17000 employees and more than $6 billion a year in sales. Of course , there is no simple answer , and luck played a role , but I think the most important element was our original vision.

……

I spent a good deal of time thinking about business because I enjoy my work so much. To day a lot of my thoughts are about the highway . Twenty years ago , I when I was thinking about the future of microchip personal computers. I couldn’t be certain where they were leading me either . I kept to my course , however, and had confidence we were moving in the right direction be where we wanted to be when everything become clear . There ‘s a lot more at stake now, but I feel that same way again. I’m nerve- wracking, but exhilarating, too.

( chapter 1 : a revolution begins , the road ahead , bill gates )

he is so inspiring , I remember in chapter 3 or 4 , he says that one day, when there is no calls ( I think business or deals – concerning calls) between 3 AM and 5 AM , he says that today business is pretty slow, or something like that.
Truly workaholic!!!

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
hì, isn't this a talent . He composed this poem when sitting for the national university entrance exam , of course , he got a zero. But i admire him, at least in terms of composing poems. and who knows, maybe he'll become a famous poet one day, right??/

Ngẫm đề thi...

Đề thi lịch sử khó làm sao
Cố viết mà chẳng được câu nào
Khen ai ra đề, ôi chao khéo
Quả là đầu óc có tầm cao

Mấy bác giám thị thật gắt gao
Bên ngoài, giám sát viên thao láo
Biên bản đình chỉ sẵn giơ cao...

Thế là bạn bè hết ăn khao
Định mời chúng nó chầu sủi cảo
Thi trượt, cũng tốt, càng đỡ khao

Nhìn tờ giấy trắng lòng nôn nao
Lại mất một năm tốn cơm gạo
Tuổi xanh lãng phí buồn biết bao!

Nhưng tự hỏi ta chăm đâu nào?
Ôn văn, luyện võ ta chưa thạo
Bạn nhạo, thầy chê, trốn nơi nao?

Cầu mong chỉ giống giấc chiêm bao
Than ôi! Nhưng đó là mơ hão
Lười học đừng nuôi mộng anh hào

Ra chợ vài chục một bộ phao
Nhưng không! Anh đây quyết trong sạch
Không đỗ mà đầu vẫn ngẩng cao
(...)

to pham anh tuan; i don't think one make ur your dream come true just by just learning and learning loads of stuffs, or somewhat like that, it's a natural born ability . But of course , nhân tài tài đến mấy thì cũng phải đúng thời đại . it also depends on the environment in which we live that defines ourselves. i wonder if bill gates was born in VIET NAM, what would he be doing now. HÌ , probably , presumbly , he is selling old computers at LY NAM DE street.

i 'm feeling that my topis itself is somewhat ambiguous.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
hey guys , someone explain to me thís phrase which i typed without much understanding

Sometimes I rock back and forth or pace when I’m thinking , because it helps me focus on a single idea and exclude distractions. I did a lot of rocking and pacing in my dorm room the winter of 1975.

"rock back and forth or pace when i'm thinking "means????

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Back
Bên trên