essay !!!

Lâm Gia Khoa
(bonmat)

i have a essay topic "Evaluate a significant experience of achievement that has special meaning to you" I really don't know how can I start this essay... can someone please help write an introduction for my essay...thanks to much that the first time i have topic like this
I think my achievement special meaning to is i get a scholarship to go to America...but i don't know how to write it in my essay's introduction. May someone help me
Thanks alot

it was said "experience", so i guess it shoud be one achievement that you have experienced before. "get a scholarship to go to America ", i believe, is just simply a goal ;)

U can start by think of the past, all the thing u've done that has made you more mature, more confident or watsoever. Jot down some ideas and make an outline. U can post ur outline here so that we can add some suggestions ;) :D

I don't think that is a good idea to "help write an introduction for my essay". We can just proofread yours to some certain extent :)

That's only if you're certain our proof-reading won't make matters worse XD

to start an esay, we should start our mind first( this sentence seems to be ridiculus)
. But I think, the way you use to start your Vietnamese essay in your term exams is the way to start your English one coz they both essay.
( hope it is does not sound crazy)
Thanks

I bet that is a topic for college essay. A tip: think about an unforgettable moment in your life. It may be a single minute or several seconds. Focus on how you feel at that moment and then relate your feelings to what happen before and after.

Lâm Gia Khoa đã viết:
i have a essay topic "Evaluate a significant experience of achievement that has special meaning to you" I really don't know how can I start this essay... can someone please help write an introduction for my essay...thanks to much that the first time i have topic like this
I think my achievement special meaning to is i get a scholarship to go to America...but i don't know how to write it in my essay's introduction. May someone help me
Thanks alot
Chị ơi!
Lần trước chị đi US nó đòi chủ đề này ah?
Bây h cái bổng khác nó cũng đòi đúng topic này!
Chị giúp em cái!
Post bài của chị( nếu còn) cho em tham khảo với!

Well, i guess this essay's a college one. A 'personal statement', they call it, rite ?

Noone can help you write such an essay. Proofreading only, maybe.

Btw, dun count on me :D I suck.

Anh thấy trường mình nhiều người Tiếng Anh rất giỏi, hôm nay muốn vào đây nhờ các em một tay, nếu rảnh review cho anh bài này xem có lỗi chính tả hay câu cú có vấn đề gì không. Và nữa là bài này tuy viết essay cho Graduate nhưng vẫn cảm tưởng nó hơi dài, cũng không biết có nên cắt ngắn bớt đi đoạn nào không ?

Statement of Purpose

I entered the National Economics University (NEU), the leading economic training center of Vietnam, when the modern economics aroused from the massive background of long-dominating Marxist political economy in Vietnam. (Microeconomics and macroeconomics had been taught in NEU for couple years). My passion for economics anchored when I met one of the two modern economics textbooks ever translated in Vietnam. With a strong background in Mathematics, I touched the first time the sweet of deriving simple formulas like Keynesian multiplier from the book. I read the book about 20 times during my college years, memorized almost every single paragraph. Determined to be an economist, I studied hard and always got scholarships of the Ministry of Education and Training in my college years.
I graduated NEU with an anxious search for an academic environment to deepen my knowledge in economics. Fortunately, I was ranked 2nd among 400 candidates in the highly competitive entrance exam to the Vietnamese-Dutch Master Program in Development Economics, and thus get its full scholarship. Sponsored by Dutch government with the ambition to create the first generation of modern economists for Vietnam, it was the unique oasis of modern economics in Vietnam: rigorous curriculum, most updated textbooks, world-class professors from the Institute of Social Science (the Netherlands) and the best Vietnamese experts.
With the strong mathematical background accumulated from high school (with City and National prizes in Physics Contests) through colleges (good grades at Mathematics, Statistics etc.), I was quickly attracted by sophisticated quantitative methods. There, econometrics was taught by the most influential econometricians of Vietnam, Professor Vu Thieu (who imported econometrics to Vietnam) and Dr. Nguyen Khac Minh (who pushed econometrics to practical applications for Vietnam). I always excelled in quantitative courses (Econometrics, Macro Theory, and Micro Theory). The new confidence in the quantitative techniques encouraged me to carry out a panel data analysis on the huge database of seventeen Asian developing countries over the 1986 – 2000 periods for my thesis. Armed with new theoretical insights and quantitative tools I got from the Program, the research had proved and disproved many conjectures concerned the Asian financial crisis in Vietnam.
In 2002, stimulated by the model of Anatoly Chubais’ reformist group, I formed a group of young economists who shared the desire to promote the modern economics in Vietnam. We started our collaboration by a series of translation with increasing technical content: from “Fifty Major Economists” (published in 2003), a book on history of economic thoughts for layman; to “Seven Schools of Macroeconomic Thoughts” (forth coming), an introduction to economic theories for economic students; to “Notes and Problems in Microeconomics Theory” (published in 2003), a textbook for graduate. The series reflected our interest, which evolved quickly to more technical literature, rather than the interest of the public. But we did not forget the mission of introducing modern economics to the public: we established a small library in my home, filled with hundreds of economic textbooks donated by Vietnamese students and scholars working overseas.
Knowing research activities of my group, Professor Nguyen Khac Minh asked us to join his research and teaching agenda. As one of the first professors with Western training in the NEU, he was the key promoter of modern economics there. We joined him to lay out the foundation and build academic credentials for the future Department of Economics in the University of Economics- the first Department in Vietnam focusing on economic theory. We conducted many researches, which served as sub-modules for his grand research plan. My group devoted much of our time for The Dictionary of Mathematical Economics and Econometrics (2004), the first of the kind in Vietnam. I also joined Dr. Nguyen Khac Minh in the project “Productivity growth, technical progress, and efficiency change in Vietnam manufacturing industries” (2004) and “Measuring the effect of Trade Liberalization in Vietnam” (forth coming).
Graduating from the Program, I succeeded in the entrance exam to Vietcombank (ranked 1st among 400 applicants), the largest bank in Vietnam. In the new well-paid business position at the bank, I was still academic oriented. In short two years at Vietcombank, I produced a series of researches in finance and banking, three of which were published in the leading research journals of Vietnam.
It was the Jan Tinbergen’s efforts to build the first complete macro-econometric model for the Netherlands (which I came to know from the Fifty Major Economists) encouraged me quit Vietcombank to apply to CIEM. The reason was simple: I found out that CIEM was the author of the first computable general equilibrium for Vietnam in the 80’s. Always the pioneer in theoretical research, CIEM had been the leading governmental think-tank and the most influential policy advisor to the government. It played the major role in reforms in Vietnam: it drafted the most important laws in the “doi moi”, the perestroika of Vietnam, including Company Law, Foreign Investment Law, Domestic Investment Law, Anti-Trust Law, and Trade Law. Encouraged by Dr. Vo Tri Thanh, my former advisor and the leading econometrist at CIEM, I applied quantitative analysis on policy issues, such as the project "Impacts of FDI on Economic Growth in Vietnam”.
In contrast with Vietcombank where I must deliberately preserve my academic interest, at CIEM I must utilize the whole academic training to response quickly and precisely to fresh and diverse questions and problems s aroused from a liberalizing economy. Overwhelmed by the wide range of the practical questions, I realized that for the precise and timely policy advisory on diverse subjects, I need a much deeper theoretical background and more sophisticated econometric tools.
Involved in promoting the modern economics in Vietnam for a while, I should be among the second Vietnamese generation of economists going in the U.S. to bring home the most advanced theories and analysis tools. I found that the Department of Economics at .....University was the first choice for me. Thus, applying to your Department is a natural step in my long journey in economics, which is, in turn, a part of the advance of the young science in my country. To the Department, I will bring my long-nurtured interest in economic theory, my passion for applying quantitative analysis to development policy problems, and above all my desire to see the modern economics blooming in Vietnam.

@ Tống Tuấn: This statement of purpose is way too long. I was a bit short of time so I just skimmed through. These are my comments:

- I don't know a whole lot about graduate essays, but the universal standard for any essay is that you have to have a point. What is your point? I can barely find any thesis sentence in the introduction paragraph. The conclusion did not do the job either.

- Take a step back and proofread it yourself, you'll see that there are couple of grammatical errors that are pretty obvious, eg. I graduated NEU ( I graduated from NEU)

- This seems to be a summary of your researches and work exprience. Does it show all in your resume? It would be great if you could talk deepr in one aspect of economics than such a broad array of things. It's just a suggestion, I can be wrong.

That's it for now. Good luck.

this essay is more like an autobiography of his economics career.
however, I really like how the author developed his sentences and paragraphs. No fancy word but the essay is quite concise.
A conclusion is short for me. The author should say more about why he wants to go to that school, and why that school will enable him to pursuit his economic study.

:)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
bác Tuấn đang xinh grad school à? về mặt tiếng Anh em nghĩ cái essay của bác cần sửa lại nhiều nhưng cái này em xin không động đến. em có vài ý kiến thế này, mong bác xem thử ạ:

bác có viết thế này:
"I found that the Department of Economics at .....University was the first choice for me. Thus, applying to your Department is a natural step in my long journey in economics, which is, in turn, a part of the advance of the young science in my country. To the Department, I will bring my long-nurtured interest in economic theory, my passion for applying quantitative analysis to development policy problems, and above all my desire to see the modern economics blooming in Vietnam."

em nghĩ rằng đây là đoạn quan trọng nhất trong bài essay của bác thì bác lại viết quá ngắn. về cách thành tích của bác, em nghĩ bác có nhiều cách khác để nêu ra (trong application, qua writing samples, research papers/ articles etc.) cái quan trọng trong bài essay là bác chỉ ra được rằng bác có hứng thú về một branch nhất định trong econ, và hứng thú đó của bác lại trùng với focus của khoa econ mà bác định xin vào. cái đó mới là quan trọng. ví dụ như nếu bác thích econ history mà lại xin vào khoa econ của U of Minnesota - một khoa econ nổi tiếng về quantitative focus - thì sẽ là không thích hợp.
bác xem thử trong faculty list của khoa econ mà bác định xin có những ai, research interest của từng người họ là gì, có ai match với bác... rồi google thử ra xem họ đã viết những cái gì, elaborate một chút (bịa ra) là những gì họ viết tạo ra hứng thú cho bác ra sao, bác mong là sẽ học được gì từ họ...

em nghĩ xin vào grad school là một quá trình hoàn toàn khác với xin vào undergrad. essay và record của bác sẽ do các giáo sư đọc trực tiếp... nên làm thế nào để cho họ tin là bác có hứng thú cao độ không chỉ với econ nói chung mà còn có một định hướng nhất định trogn quá trình nghiên cứu.

Cám ơn tất cả các góp ý của các bạn:

Nhìn chung, theo mình thì essay đối với Graduate khác rất nhiều so với essay bậc under, trong đó quá trình hình thành ý tưởng và philosophy đối với under không nhiều, và phải nói là viết essay đối với under cực khó, vì chẳng biết viết cái gì :D, đầu óc còn khá fresh. Cho nên bài viết nhấn mạnh vào "những câu chuyện thú vị, những đột biến" làm thay đổi và quyết định xin đi học
Nhưng với bậc grad, theo kinh nghiệm thì mình thấy bài viết phải đạt được sự hình thành philosophy của mình, vì ở độ tuổi này người xin đi học phải có một suy nghĩ chín chắn nhất định, phải đã chắc chắn mình đang theo đuổi về mục tiêu, và ý tưởng. Quá trình hình thành phải xuyên suốt, logic thành một quá trình liên tục, và nhấn mạnh được ý chính. Chính vì vậy, thay vì bịa ra các tình huống, mình đành lấy lại câu chuyện thật của mình để cho nó private và logic, tất nhiên là có đánh bóng tí. Theo kinh nghiệm của mình, thì một bài essay graduate cần phải trả lời được các câu hỏi sau đây:
- Kể hai được câu chuyện/ấn tượng mạnh nhất khiến ta chọn ngành này? (kỉ niệm thời thơ ấu, truyền thống gia đình, các đột biến/xáo trộn trong đời sống, từ suy nghĩ sâu sắc, lâu dài). Cái này cũng giống như under, chọn được câu chuyện nào càng ấn tượng càng tốt.
- Kể khéo được những thành tích học tập/hoạt động của mình (trong đó nêu được thành tích tự hào nhất)
- Có câu hỏi nào trong lĩnh vực mà ta đang xin học mà ta đã suy ngẫm từ lâu mà vẫn chưa giải quyết được? Những cản trở nào từ xã hội ta không giải quyết được (tình trạng giáo dục chung, tình trạngtư tưởng xã hội, điều kiện kinh tế, điều kiện công nghệ v.v.)
- Tại sao ta lại chọn du học ngành học này? giải thích tại sao về mặt chuyên môn, ta buộc phải du học nước ngoài.
- Động cơ để ta quan tâm đến vấn đề đó? (Ý nghĩa đối với Việt Nam,người nghèo, vẻ đẹp học thuật, tính nhân văn,truyền thống gia đình v.v.)
-Kế hoạch ngay khi học xong của ta? (xây dựng trung tâm nghiên cứu, lập trường học, bệnh viện etc.). Hãy mô tả lợi thế của ta so với những người khác trong việc thực hiện kế hoạch đó?
-Trong vòng 10 năm ta định làm gì/trở thành ai? ta đã có, và dự kiến sẽ đạt được những tiền đề nào để thực hiện dự định đó? Du học tại trường đó sẽ giúp ta thực hiện dự định đó như thế nào?

Đại khái bài trên anh viết theo một dàn ý như vậy. Chính vì vậy đôi khi nó cứ như tự sự hơn là một bài viết ấn tượng.
Đúng như Hoàng Long nói, phần kết luận của anh có lẽ còn quá ngắn, nhưng tất cả những thứ lê thê ở trên cốt để chỉ viết được một vài câu ngắn thế ở kết luận (Cái này là anh học lỏm được một vài dàn ý của những người có essay hay và thành công :D)

Nhìn chung thì còn phải sửa nhiều để đọc cho nó nghệ sĩ hơn nữa, nghe phải như tán gái chứ thế này thì khô khan quá, cám ơn các bạn đã góp ý :D

Em vừa đọc lại kĩ hơn 1 tí bài anh Tuấn. Nhìn chung là thế này ạ.

- Thành tích thì rất là impressive, nói chung đọc thì biết là kiểu như pioneers trong việc lay the basis for modern economics teaching in VN. Nhưng mà nói thế thì không cụ thể. Specific và to the point là quan trọng nhất trong viết 1 essay. Modern Economics rất rộng, anh chú trọng vào khía cạnh nào, strong interest vào đâu? Có vẻ như là Development, nhưng mà nếu thế thì anh phải nói sâu hơn nữa. Còn nữa, cái phần why you are interested and why it is relevant to the current socio-economic situation in VN, vẫn chưa rõ hoặc là chưa có trong bài.

- Những requirements anh đưa ra về grad essay thì đúng rồi, nhưng mà phải có priority, tức là cái nào quan trọng hơn cái nào. Theo em thì như anh Long nói, cái specific interest của anh vẫn phải là quan trọng nhất, phải show được là nó có phù hợp với trường không. Mà 1 khi nó đã quan trọng nhất thì những cái khác nói ít đi, ví dụ I have strong mathematical background ko nhất thiết phải nói 2 lần trong bài hị hị ( it's shown in your GRE score)

- Đoạn mở đầu bao giờ cũng quan trọng thì trong bài này chưa được tốt. Theo em chi tiết anh vào NEU chả relevant gì hết, nên bỏ đi. Đọc lại sẽ thấy câu 1 và câu 2 của đoạn mở đầu không liên quan gì đến nhau mấy, chỉ rườm ra thêm. Nếu anh tiếp tục đọc bài theo cách này, tức là wonder xem câu sau với câu trước có liên quan đến nhau không ( cause-effect, temporal connection...) thì sẽ lược được khá nhiều câu ko cần thiết và bài đỡ dài hơn. Ví dụ sao anh ko nói thẳng: My interest in Development Economics stems from ... Straight-forward ngay từ đầu bài như vậy cũng sẽ khiến người ta interested hơn và focused hơn khi đọc bài của anh. Câu cú cũng thế, thay vì nói I succeeded in the entrance exam to VCB ( ranked number 1 ...), sao anh ko nói " I ranked 1st in the entrance exam to VCB? ( Hạn chế mở ngoặc đơn mở ngoặc kép, hạn chết những từ như Luckily, Fortunately - your achievements are NOT a matter of luck)

- Tone của bài cũng quan trọng. Frankly, hehe, em thấy bài này hơi boastful withouth indepth illustration of what you boasted. Ví dụ: I always excelled in quantitative courses (Econometrics, Macro Theory, and Micro Theory). Sẽ tốt hơn nếu anh nói anh đã dùng quantitative knowledge đấy để làm research gì và kết quả thế nào. Em nghĩ là the most selling tone là when you show that you are focused and passionate abt it, tức là tất cả các việc anh đã làm revolve quanh việc promote researches in your field. Mà để có thể passionate như vậy thì lại phải clarify lý do anh theo đuổi nó, again, như đã nói ở trên, cái này trong bài không rõ.

Dài quá rồi hihi, Hope that helps.

Thủy Anh, very well put - I doubt I could ever give such good advice. I'm very impressed. You must be a really good writer yourself.
bác Tuấn, bác nói về chuyện hình thành personal/professional philosophy là rất chính xác... tuy nhiên qua essay này, em thực sự không tìm ra được personal philosophy của bác là gì. nó giống như một bảng kể thành tích thì đúng hơn. Có nhiều cách khác để kể ra thành tích của mình một cách kín đáo hơn nhưng vẫn gây được sự chú ý (resumé??). It's never a bad thing to sound humble. I know you didn't plan to sound boastful... yet that's a bad thing also - you need to be aware of the tone you set in your writing. you can be boastful intentionally... but when being so, be subtle about it. "1 lần khiêm tốn = 4 lần tự kiêu" ;;)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Long: tại sao mày lại không nhìn thấy tao phát triển cái ý gì nhỉ, chắc tại tao viết lộn xộn quá, còn thành tích thì tất nhiên là đánh bóng rồi, ví dụ 2nd thì cho thành 1st rank chẳng hạn, cái đó không tính :D.

Thank Thủy Anh: em có thể góp ý thêm cho anh về phần phát triển ý tưởng? (như peosonal philosophy như Long đã nói), những góp ý về cách viết là rất Ok. Anh sẽ sửa lại và 1 tuần nữa mang lên đây hỏi tiếp hehe..

Hì hì, nhưng nói thật là em cũng không rõ focus của anh trong Econ là gì, đoán lờ mờ thì có vẻ là Development. Nhưng Development cũng có nhiều khía cạnh lắm, thiên về Agriculture, Trade hay là cái gì ạ?
personal philosophy thì nó cũng giống như cái belief ấy mà. Đại loại khi theo đuổi cái gì thì cũng phải có belief cả, ví dụ nếu anh theo Development chắc là phải có belief là nó helps trong hoàn cảnh VN hiện nay, ( thực ra hoàn cảnh VN hiện này thì bất cứ cái gì, agriculture, trade hay gì gì cũng cần improvement cả nên anh cứ bốc phét thế nào chả được, nghe càng benevolent càng hay, Americans are idealistic heheh). Với cả em nghĩ bây giờ VN cần educated policy makers, cũng cần its own economics literature để có thế phân tích, phỏng đoán các economic phenomena and take care of the economy's health. Anh cứ prove là anh sẵn sàng die for that cause là ổn :D. Nên em thấy cái chi tiết dịch sách để promote, lập thư viện để create your intellectual society với cả bỏ VCB để đi làm research là thể hiện strong commitment, nên nhấn mạnh.

Good luck with everything.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
hehe tẹo nữa viết xong mấy cái essays tớ gửi cho bạn Thủy Anh critique nhé ;) (j/k)

Nhưng em bảo này!
Vẫn biết là phải tự làm nhưng nhỡ cái em ấn tượng lại chẳng ra cái đinh gì với người ta thì sao?
Thôi, để bao h em post lên duyệt hộ em nhá!

em đang phải viết một đống essay để xin vào boarding schools, tình hình là thường thường chúng nó cho 2 đến 3 topic để chọn, trong đó thường có:
+ vài điều về bản thân
+ sự kiện ấn tượng nhất
+ khó khăn từng gặp phải, quá trình giải quyết và kết quả
+ ước mơ về tương lai
như vậy thì với những topic kiểu trẻ con như thế, em nên bwts đầu và kết thúc như thế nào? khai triển các ý như thế nào? điều em muốn truyền đạt qua các essay đó là mình unique, chín chắn, có khả năng và tiềm năng lớn, đồng thời cho bên trường biết những nguyện vọng về đào tạo của mình cũng như giúp đỡ trên con đường mình chọn/

Back
Bên trên