contentious grammar question

Võ Thanh Trọng Nhân
(BabyDino)

Please select the alternative you consider both most correct and most effective according to the requirement of standard written English. Answer A is the same as the original version. If you think the original version is the best, select A.

Here's the question:

Seventy-four applications were received, of whom the better were selected for detailed review.

A. of whom the better were selected

B. from which were selected the better

C. the best of which were selected

D. from whom were selected the best

E. from which they selected the best

This question is still in dispute in my class. What do you think?

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Re: Contentious grammar questions

Looks like a Gmat or Gre stuff ^_^ E appeals to me , too :p

E definitely :D

Au contraire.

The question specifically asks for the most correct and effective according to standard written English. Our problematic sentence does not qualify the less of that standard to begin with, especially when it has a misplaced modifier. That is to say, the disputed modifier has to be placed right after "applications", of which the modifier makes specific meaning as demonstrated in this sentence.

However, we just have to make the best out of what we have, if that is the case, in which some screwy test designers deliberately, excuse my French, jack us up with similar erroneous sentences. Given this dire circumstance, the best answer is still not our seemingly popular E. The reason E is disqualified because it employs a vague subject, or, rather, subjects: “they.” Who are “they”? Unless provided with a context, the sentence remains unclear with “they” behind a misty veil.

Arguably, any reasonable English learner (I’m trying to be politically correct since using “man” would make me sound sexist, while using “student” would make me sound obnoxious, though I very am) would exclude any choice with “whom” from the list of possible answers. This process of elimination, combined with the above argument against the selection of E, leaves us with only two alternatives: B and C. B strikes us as awkward because of its passive voice. Passive voice might not be too bad, I would say. However, for matters of convenience, let us put B aside and scrutinize C first instead.

C, though seemingly grammatically correct, contains the hidden flaw of eliminating the modifier completely. Take a look at our problematic sentence with C in it, shall we?
“ Seventy-four applications were received, the best of which were selected for detailed review.”
Now, the above sentence should, I hope, strike you as two, not one, independent sentences improperly put together without any proper conjunction. Two independent sentences, when joined together, should be jointly separated with either a comma followed by the conjunction “and” or a semicolon. A semicolon does not work in this case because it cuts short the tiny bitty itty connection between the two sentences through the word “which”. Therefore, painstakingly, the sentence should plainly reads, “Seventy-four applications were received, and the best of which were selected for further review.” Let us cross C out now, shall we?

So, here we are, with no other choice left but B. B’s passive voice makes it sound fancy, tedious, obnoxious, awkward, just about any negatively sensible adjective you can recall. However, to the standard of written English, B most strictly follows the direction of written English grammar. It is also all the more effective, in a sense, because it stresses the passive nature of the selection process that our hypothetical applications have to endure. Therefore, as much as I abhor B, I claim it the most correct and most effective remedy to our disputed sentence.

oops, B is def. wrong :p
"from which" can't be the subject. Got it? If you want to use passive voice, you gotta say "from which the better were selected."

So A, B, D are out of the question. Let's look at C and E. C sounds a little bit awkward to me, probably b/c there isn't an obvious connection b/w two clauses.
Plus saying "select from" the application pool sounds good to me.
So I will go for E.
Neway, I am horrible at grammar :(

Can I choose F?:D

I think none of them are good. But to choose one to complete the test, i 'll take E.

B would be right if it's like this: "from which the better/best were selected or selected the better/best were.
E is right. no need to clarify what "they" are." that's how things go in these kinda ENglish exercise... screw the context, kiss the grammar's ass.

Seventy-four applications were received, of whom the better were selected for detailed review.

A. of whom the better were selected

B. from which were selected the better

C. the best of which were selected

D. from whom were selected the best

E. from which they selected the best

E was also my choice, as it was the least awkward to me... However, it was wildly refuted by my current instructor for the sole justification she could come up with - the ambiguity of "they".

You guys may be taken aback now, but the answer key is C. That means, "best" as a noun can take a plural verb sometimes. I've been trying damn hard to condone that weird grammar point, which I totally failed to find out in any grammar source ever, but I can't. So I posted it here to ask you guys if I should rely on the key.

A SAT instructor living in the US, another advocate of the answer key, pointed out that as the main clause is put in passive voice, so must the adj clause be. This is also wicked new to me.

Have you ever encountered any situation where "best" can go with a plural verb?

hmm....

dont c anything wrong with C. I'd def. not use E. Also wat's wrong with "best" being used with a plural verb? They even use "Bestest"

best,
- My

Re: hmm....

sorry, this addresses mr.vo's grammar question. Hương điên, merge it for me please :p

Back
Bên trên