A famous love letter of Bethoveen...

Nguyễn Thu Hiền
(Hien-12van)

Điều hành viên
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827), one of history's most famous and mysterious composers died at the age of 57 with one great secret. Upon his death, a love letter was found among his possessions. It was written to an unknown woman who Beethoven simply called his *Immortal Beloved.*

The world may never put a face with this mysterious woman or know the circumstances of their affair and his letters are all that is left of a love as intensely passionate as the music for which Beethoven became famous. Compositions such as the Moonlight Sonata as well as Beethoven's many symphonies express eloquently the tragedy of a
relationship never publicly realized.

July 6, 1806

My angel, my all, my very self -- only a few words today and at that with your pencil -- not till tomorrow will my lodgings be definitely determined upon -- what a useless waste of time. Why this deep sorrow where necessity speaks -- can our love endure except through sacrifices -- except through not demanding everything -- can you change it that you are not wholly mine, I not wholly thine?

Oh, God! look out into the beauties of nature and comfort yourself with that which must be -- love demands everything and that very justly -- that it is with me so far as you are concerned, and you with
me. If we were wholly united you would feel the pain of it as little as I!

Now a quick change to things internal from things external. We shall surely see each other; moreover, I cannot communicate to you the observations I have made during the last few days touching my own life -- if our hearts were always close together I would make none of the kind. My heart is full of many things to say to you - Ah! -- there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all -- cheer up -- remain my true, only treasure, my all as I am yours; the gods must send us the rest that which shall be best for us.

Your faithful,
Ludwig

Please express your feeling about this love letter as well as one of the World greatest composer Ludwig van Beethoven! ;)

This letter, however, makes no sense to me. maybe because I have listened to "Fur Elise" I think it's not necessary to read this letter.

But is it true that he sent that to Elise? She was said to be a blind woman, I thought.

Why is this letter called "famous"? One can't feel any love from it.

Nguyễn Thị Thanh Mai đã viết:
No offense, but are you sure you understand this letter?
I grant you that the writing itself is not so exceptional, and the reason it becomes famous must somewhat contribute to the fact that it was written by a famous musician. However, I believe anyone who gives enough credit to this letter will feel moved by the author's true love and sympathize with his helpless desire.
Merely by the opening words, "My angel, my all, my very self", one can already feel Mr. Beethoven's passion toward his lady. In his mind, she is the representation of the heaven's beauty, the symbol of everything he ever wants and needs; moreover, there is him in her - she is the ultimate owner of his body and soul. The expression "my very self" is rather unique and hard to undertand, simply because most people live their lives without ever having such an affectionate love - a love for which one would willingly surrender one's all.
From the letter, it seems as Mr. Beethoven is lucky enough to have his lady's love. Unfortunately for a reason or another, they must not be together. His desperate, but seemingly rehetorical question "can you change it that you are not wholly mine, I not wholly thine?" speaks of this situation. If, in some magical way, they could be "wholly united" as many other normal couples, Mr. Beethoven, as well as his lady, would feel much less sorrowful.
Now, reading the last paragraph that he writes, one can once again imagine his utterly disastrous misery, for he is completely separated from his lady. What could be more painful when one cannot connect with his own "self"? He is dying inside, because in no way he could share with her things that are happening in his heart.
Lovingly, despite all hardship and "sacrifices", he remains his true and forever faithful love to her. And it is like a locked-up prisoner who is patiently paying his dues and now looking forward to a new shed of light, Mr. Beethoven prays to the gods for what he deserves; as "the gods must send us the rest that which shall be best for us." Regardless of their obtacles, he looks into a future with her!
So, imho, this is a stunning love letter that is certainly praise-worthy!
-nxh

Nguyễn Xuân Hải đã viết:
Merely by the opening words, "My angel, my all, my very self", one can already feel Mr. Beethoven's passion toward his lady. In his mind, she is the representation of the heaven's beauty, the symbol of everything he ever wants and needs; moreover, there is him in her - she is the ultimate owner of his body and soul. The expression "my very self" is rather unique and hard to undertand, simply because most people live their lives without ever having such an affectionate love - a love for which one would willingly surrender one's all.
Nguyễn Xuân Hải đã viết:
From the letter, it seems as Mr. Beethoven is lucky enough to have his lady's love. Unfortunately for a reason or another, they must not be together. His desperate, but seemingly rehetorical question "can you change it that you are not wholly mine, I not wholly thine?" speaks of this situation. If, in some magical way, they could be "wholly united" as many other normal couples, Mr. Beethoven, as well as his lady, would feel much less sorrowful.
Now, reading the last paragraph that he writes, one can once again imagine his utterly disastrous misery, for he is completely separated from his lady. What could be more painful when one cannot connect with his own "self"? He is dying inside, because in no way he could share with her things that are happening in his heart.
Lovingly, despite all hardship and "sacrifices", he remains his true and forever faithful love to her. And it is like a locked-up prisoner who is patiently paying his dues and now looking forward to a new shed of light, Mr. Beethoven prays to the gods for what he deserves; as "the gods must send us the rest that which shall be best for us." Regardless of their obtacles, he looks into a future with her!
So, imho, this is a stunning love letter that is certainly praise-worthy!

You have such excellent critical thinking and English intepretation.

---
Ngọ Hồng Vũ đã viết:
This letter, however, makes no sense to me. maybe because I have listened to "Fur Elise" I think it's not necessary to read this letter.

Nguyễn Minh Nguyệt đã viết:
But is it true that he sent that to Elise? She was said to be a blind woman, I thought.

Nguyễn Thị Thanh Mai đã viết:

I'm sorry! I posted this letter 2 years ago on my 21 th birthday... and almost forgot it! Actually, there were 3 letters written by Beethoven to his 'Immortal Beloved'. None knew who was she. This love story still be considerd as "mysterious- tragic" relationship which is never publicly realized.

---

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Here are 2 letters followed the first one!

------

Letter 2

Evening, Monday, July 6

You are suffering, my dearest creature - only now have I learned that letters must be posted very early in the morning on Mondays to Thursdays - the only days on which the mail-coach goes from here to K. -
You are suffering -
Ah, wherever I am, there you are also - I will arrange it with you and me that I can live with you.
What a life!!! thus!!! without you - pursued by the goodness of mankind hither and thither - which I as little want to deserve as I deserve it -
Humility of man towards man - it pains me - and when I consider myself in relation to the universe, what am I and what is He - whom we call the greatest - and yet - herein lies the divine in man -
I weep when I reflect that you will probably not receive the first report from me until Saturday -
Much as you love me - I love you more -
But do not ever conceal yourself from me - good night -
As I am taking the baths I must go to bed -
Oh God - so near! so far!
Is not our love truly a heavenly structure, and also as firm as the vault of heaven?

-----------

Letter 3

Good morning, on July 7

Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us -
I can live only wholly with you or not at all -
Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits -
Yes, unhappily it must be so -
You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever possess my heart - never - never -
Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves.
And yet my life in V is now a wretched life -
Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men -
At my age I need a steady, quiet life - can that be so in our connection?
My angel, I have just been told that the mailcoach goes every day - therefore I must close at once so that you may receive the letter at once -
Be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together -
Be calm - love me - today - yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you - my life - my all - farewell.
Oh continue to love me - never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved.
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours

L.

i really think these letters carried lots of love, and so do his songs

Back
Bên trên