Sororities/Fraternities: Are you in or out?

Phạm Minh Hằng
(Phaminhang)

1st thing 1st, guess this topic is for those who already had some experience about studying abroad; cuz these two terms sororities/fraternities are not in Vietnam.

So I was just wondering what your opinions on these sorts of "organization". Would you mind list some pros and cons of them? Would you join or not?

:) Cheerz :)

Me in mind, Frat n Sono are just full of parties. Gotta see how they go next year, then I will decide whether to join them or not. Btw, my school has Frat only **sucK**, but from what a frat senior told me it's full of drunken parties and girls..."where the hell are those girls from" :)) :))
Er, one more problem.. we have to pay for participating in those kinds beta, alpha bla bla... And the fee couldnt be low since thousands of parties are set up every year -> could be huge amount of wasted money paper

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
girls can join frat parties :p if that is your concern :)

However, did u notice, members of those always have the highest GPA. They also did a lot of community service to fundraise.
This is my guess, u can agree or disagree, but u get to know lots of people when u join frat/soro

However, did u notice, members of those always have the highest GPA. They also did a lot of community service to fundraise.
----------------------------------------------
I think you are quite wrong in most cases. often times, frats are considered societies for white, rich, spoiled, dumb kids who are good for nothing but drinking and flexing muscles and such generalizations exist for a reason. some very respected colleges such as Williams and Swarthmore have had them outlawed.
read 'bout amherst's frats below. quite interesting.

http://note.amherst.edu/thread.jsp?forum=3&thread=5994

I dont even understand thóe terms --> explain to me plz .... or ít just for US abroader :-s

Yeah, rite, it's just for US only. Nothing is related to UK here. Sorry buddy, but you are kinda out of here ;) :p
Er, btw, you misunderstood what i said Hang. I knew that girls definitely can join a frat party, but why i asked "where the hell those girls from?" coz of my college is all male. Now damn! (sorry for being rude) you know the reason.
Neway, have anyone here joined in these kinda societies? Like what i saw in the intro infomartion about frats at my school. They in my school are not so bad (i mean in the academical term). Their average GPA's are pretty high, so what could be the truth of frat, so is sonor? Is there anyone here being able to tell us about this????

2 Long: Oh, so then I guess I was wrong if I look at Amherst. WEll, but like, in my college, soro and frat are considered to be cool and smart. I still remember when my school soro recruited new members. They made it so interesting that how great their sororities are, and how you should be proud when you get into their organizations.
BTW, if it is so bad like u sad, why a lot of colleges and universities still allow those organizations ??

2 Hiếu: Sorry for having misunderstood what you said. So you went to a male college? :D I guess those girls are from outside, I mean well, u dont have to be a student of the school to join frat parties, right :D

2 Hưng: I actually dont know much about frat/soro, but I will try my best to explain to you.:D. Fraternities and sororities are two kinds of organization. Fraternities are for guys. Sororities are for girls. They usually refers to Greek Life, therefore, they lived and played around like the Greek long time ago, which are like partying, drinking and stuff like that. Frat n soro exists in American colleges and universities (some dont). Since the ideas are from Greek, the letters to represent these organizations are Greek letter; such as Sorority Alpha Pi Omega, Fraternity Zeta Chi,.. something like that. Every beginning of a semester, presidents of those frat/soro will recruit members in a week (this week is call a rush week), and those who want to be the members have to do something "crazy" to prove that they're cool enough to join. For example, taking toilet papers from a men's restroom and hang them on the tree,.,... Frat/soro have a bunch of rules that once u join, u must obey. Sometimes, they would ask you do weird stuff during a certain week. For instance, calling other members by their last name, not talking to guys if you're in sorority and vice versa...
Well, it seems bad but like, as I said above, in my college, some soro members has 4.0 GPA, and they're very active in a lot of activities. Also, once you join, its like you join a family of big sisters, big brothers (as they claimed to me so), they treat you quite special :D so, that might seem a good thing...

but after all, im still thinkin, is it worth it? :D

From what I heard, each frats mean something diff. Some are known for high GPA, some are all jockey who are ignorant and arrogant. One of my friend just joined a frat, and he told me the good thing about it is thát they have network everywhere, which would help when you graduate in finding jobs ánd such...

Don't know much about sonorities, probably they are a bit better :D. I don't think there are anything wrong with joining a frat/sonor, just choose the right one :D

Nah, I won't join, and never thought about joining it.
Cuz I've heard so many stories about how cruel your "sister" can be, and like you have to obey this rule and that rule. And once you disobey, they can be really mean.
Don't know if it's true. But I prefer to be all by myself.
Yeah and I agree, they are white rich kids, nah I dont like to hang out with bunch of dummy white rich girls who do nails all the time.

Oh yeah, if you are out going, it is not a good idea, since if you join them, you will mostly be around yourr bro and sis. My friends say it could be good for people who is not as outgoing, and help them get to know more people. But if you join, there are lót of rules to follow :(, I hate rules
That is what I heard:D

2 Hoai Anh: Soro is not any better, I guess. They're the same as frat. Maybe even crazier.... and blonde :D

Well, I never thought of joining it either. Or maybe, I just havent found a good one to join.
But sometimes I think they're cool, cuz some of them party a lot and also have very high grade :D

Honey you can have high grade by yourself. And, you're not blonde, and I've never seen any "not white american" in Soro.
I have this class-mate who was in Soro. But then they kicked her out because of something. Now she still feels like she hates them so much because they were so unfair to her. (and she's a blonde white American)

I've seen Asian in frats :D, but haven't seen any non-American in Sonor, wonder why?
The grade probably just have to do with the fact that the brothers and sisters help each other out on the homeworks, but that is about it. I guess

at first i thought it was cool....then i realized that they are just a bunch of rich kids who have to pay a lot of $$$ to make other people call them "sister" or "brother" :)) hell no...i already have 2 sisters and that's enough :))
about GPA, i have to admit that some of them are very active and smart...but only SOME....rushing and pledging take a lot of time, then when you get into one, you spend a lot of time going to parties too woo hoo:)) there's no time for school work
have you ever read "girls on the verge" Hằng? very interesting story about joining a sorority at UCLA :D

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
2 Nga: What I meant by "blonde" was like girls who are clingy, crazy, hyper.. u know, like "va`ng hoe" in Vietnamese. I wasnt taking about their hair color :D

2 HA: No i havent. Would u lend me hehe? Btw, I thought you'd have gotten into sorority last semester... guess its good that u didnt :D

Well, I am sort of convinced by the idea that only a few of them are actually smart and cool. But I meant, having such organizations is so absurb, why dont all college/uni ban them or smth? Sometimes, they are being very annoying!

:)), đang TA nên khi đọc vàng hoe của bạn Hằng tí sặc :))
I think Frat have good thíng too :D, like networking in all over the States...

Back
Bên trên