GMAT Sentence Correction

Bonus :D - a hard GMAT question

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed
(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing

Bonus: E

Don't you want to stop anh Hoài? More please :D

Tặng anh Hoài bài hát để anh lấy hơi post típ này :D

Don't Stop Babe (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)
(Mariah Carey/DJ Clue/Duro/Thomas Brown/Toni Smith/M. Tyler)

featuring Mystikal

Mystikal:
Do the thing!

DJ Clue:
Oh-ooooooooo oh-oooooo

Mystikal: Watch yourself
Get on the floor,move your feet

DJ Clue: Woooooooeeeeeeee

Mystikal:
There ain't nothing u can do with the man,
Except for shake yo ass and clap yo hands,
Bob yo head and move your feet,
I ain't the type of rapper just to ride the beat!
I set the track on fire,
I take the roof,the house and knock out your tyres,
Its the funk in here
Let mystikal move you and Mariah sing

Chorus-MC:
Don't Stop baby(Mystikal ad-libs:shake yo ass),
Its extasy(watch yoself),
Turn me up a little higher,
baby light my fire,
Tell me every little thing you wanna do,
Baby i'm into you(get on the floor),
Don't Stop baby(shake yo ass),
Its extasy(shake the whole grill),
Turn me up a little higher
Baby light my fire,
Tell me every little thing you want to do I just want to love ya(bob yo head
and move yo feet)

Mystikal:
Heads up,Look out,its bout to go down,
And what they didn't know about me then, I bet they know now,
I'm bout to prove my fame,
So just get out the way and let me do the thing,
Its on tonight,
I'm known to be more vulgar than the garbage ____
You can't stop the train,
You ain't got no unbrella so get your ass out the rain,
You ain't louder than this!
I'm like a bowl of gumbo,you ain't hotter than this,
I'm what they play in the club,
I keep them moving till i leave, thats what they paying me for,
You already know what i do,
So have my money and my munchies and my cigar too,
I'm known for bringing the heat,
Ain't nobody cutting up but MC now MC

Chorus-MC:
Don't Stop baby(shake yo ass),
Its extasy(watch yoself),
baby light my fire,
Baby i'm into you(oh oooo,oh-ooooo)
Don't Stop baby,
Its extasy(shake the whole grill),
Baby light my fire,
Tell me every little thing you want to do
I just want to love ya
Li-li-li-li-li-li-liiiiiinnnng

Mystikal:
Go head _____ and party,
Mix that with that dark but don't waste that on my Jordans,
Keep laughing till your moth tired,
Go ahead and lit something up but take that ciggarette outside,
Get on the floor,
Its another number one debut for sure,
Now say it ain't real,
And if i ain't a fool why you can't keep still sing

Bridge-MC:
I'm feeling,
And i gotta get in the beat,
Jamaican funk thats what it was,
O-oh let it get into you

Chorus-MC:
Don't Stop baby,
Its extasy,
baby light my fire,
Baby i'm into you
Don't Stop baby,
Its extasy,
Baby light my fire,
Tell me every little thing you want to do
I just want to love ya

Repeat chorus till fade

Võ Thanh Trọng Nhân đã viết:
Hic, có bác nào giải thích dùm câu 3 phát. Em chịu.
Câu 3 giữ nguyên ( tức là chọn A) đúng vì:

3. More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater economic development and investing millions of dollars in cultural activities, despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.

1. Cái phrase a means to st chính xác hơn a means of something trong context này. Means of st chỉ là công cụ để làm gì thôi, còn means to st có nghĩa là công cụ để đạt được cái gì, ( cũng na ná nhứ kiểu the road to success, the path to prosperity, v.v.

2. Parallel: cities are stressing ....and investing ( chung are)

Những options khác đều không có đủ hai yếu tố này, nên giữ nguyên là chính xác nhất.

11. C, 12C, 13 B, 14A, 15 D

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Nguyễn Hiền Trang đã viết:
Ơ 9e làm sao được nhỉ?

9. Many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago, the mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries.

(E) The mountainous regions of northern Ethiopia are dotted with hundreds of monasteries, many of them chiseled from solid rock centuries ago.

Absolute phrase --> http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm

This time our answers are identical. Hope we both are correct :D

OA: 11.D 12.C 13.B 14.E 15.B
bonus: E

Answer to Question 11
Choice D is best. The phrasing a divorce that occurred when they were children correctly uses the relative clause that occurred to modify a divorce and includes a pronoun and verb (they were) that refer unambiguously to their antecedent, men and women. Choice A incorrectly introduces the when... phrase with occurring, thus illogically making divorce the grammatical referent of when a child; furthermore, the singular child does not agree with the plural men and women. B replaces child with children but otherwise fails to correct A's errors of structure and logic, and C corrects only the error created by occurring. Choice E includes an incorrect verb tense (has occurred) and wrongly replaces when with as. Also, each was does not properly refer to men and women.

Answer to Question 12
In choice C, the best answer, an area about the size of Colorado clearly describes a rough equivalence between the area of Colorado and the area overseen by the companies. In A and B, the plural verb have does not agree with the singular subject number. Choice A is also wordy, since that is can be deleted without loss of clarity. The absence of an area in B and E impairs clarity: the phrase beginning with about must modify a noun such as area that is logically equivalent to the number of acres given. In D and E up to is unidiomatic; the correct expression is from x to y. In D, the size of Colorado's is unidiomatic, since of Colorado forms a complete possessive.

Answer to Question 13
Because the verb phrases used to describe the bats' duties are governed by the phrase different duties such as, they should each be expressed in the present participial (or "-ing") form to parallel defending and scouting. Choices A, C, D, and E all violate parallelism by employing infinitives (to...) in place of participial phrases. In E the singular sentinel is not consistent with residents, and the omission of and distorts the meaning of the original. Only B, the best answer, preserves the sense of the original, uses the correct idiom, and observes the parallelism required among and within the three main verb phrases.

Answer to Question 14
For parallelism, the linking verb is should link two infinitives: The only way to salvage ... is to process. Choice A begins with an infinitive, but the plural pronouns them and they do not agree with the singular noun citrus. Choices B, C, and D do not begin with an infinitive, and all present pronoun errors: the plural pronouns cannot grammatically refer to citrus or fruit, nor can they refer to farmers without absurdity. The best choice, E, has parallel infinitives and uses fruit to refer unambiguously to citrus. E also expresses the cause-and-effect relationship between the return of warmer weather and the rotting of the fruit; A, C, and D merely describe these events as contemporaneous.

Answer to Question 15
Choices A, C, and E do not state the comparison logically. The expression as old as indicates equality of age, but the sentence indicates that the Brittany monuments predate the Mediterranean monuments by 2,000 years. In B, the best choice, older than makes this point of comparison clear. B also correctly uses the adjective supposed, rather than the adverb supposedly used in D and E, to modify the noun phrase Mediterranean predecessors.

chúc mừng Hiền Trang và Trọng Nhân đã có đáp án đúng cả 6 câu hỏi (anh Thăng cố gắng lên nhé, gần bằng các em rồi đấy :)) )

tiếp nào

16. A “calendar stick” carved centuries ago by the Winnebago tribe may provide the first evidence that the North American Indians have developed advanced full-year calendars basing them on systematic astronomical observation.

(A) that the North American Indians have developed advanced full-year calendars basing them

(B) of the North American Indians who have developed advanced full-year calendars and based them

(C) of the development of advanced full-year calendars by North American Indians, basing them

(D) of the North American Indians and their development of advanced full-year calendars based

(E) that the North American Indians developed advanced full-year calendars based

17. A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump

(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping

(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump

(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump

(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

18. A collection of 38 poems by Phillis Wheatley, a slave, was published in the 1770’s, the first book by a Black woman and it was only the second published by an American woman.

(A) it was only the second published by an American woman

(B) it was only the second that an American woman published

(C) the second one only published by an American woman

(D) the second one only that an American woman published

(E) only the second published by an American woman

19. A common disability in test pilots is hearing impairment, a consequence of sitting too close to large jet engines for long periods of time.

(A) a consequence of sitting too close to large jet engines for long periods of time

(B) a consequence from sitting for long periods of time too near to large jet engines

(C) a consequence which resulted from sitting too close to large jet engines for long periods of time

(D) damaged from sitting too near to large jet engines for long periods of time

(E) damaged because they sat too close to large jet engines for long periods of time

20. A controversial figure throughout most of his public life, the Black leader Marcus Garvey advocated that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom.

(A) that some Blacks return to Africa, the land that, to him, symbolized the possibility of freedom

(B) that some Blacks return to the African land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him

(C) that some Blacks return to Africa which was the land which symbolized the possibility of freedom to him

(D) some Black’s returning to Africa which was the land that to him symbolized the possibility of freedom

(E) some Black’s return to the land symbolizing the possibility of freedom to him, Africa

Ôi giời :-s , cái GMAT này tricky quá hichic.
Thôi làm tiếp vậy:

16 E, 17A, 18 E, 19 A, 20 D

16E 17A 18E 19A 20A

Hehe, this time our answers are identical again miss Trang :D

Nguyễn Hiền Trang đã viết:
em nghĩ là được anh Long yêu ạ :)
phosphate là muối hóa học mà cũng số nheiefu được à :-?
nhưng mà 17b chắc là ko đúng thật vì ko giữ nguyên nghĩa ban đầu.

OA: 16E 17A 18E 19A 20A

21. In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism's trying to metabolize, or render harmless. the chemical that is irritating it.

(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it

(B) trying that it metabolize, or render harmless, the . chemical irritant

(C) attempt to try to metabolize, or render harmless, such a chemical irritant

(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it

(E) attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant

22. Dr. Hakuta's research among Hispanic children in the United States indicates that the more the children use both Spanish and English, their intellectual advantage is greater in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic.

(A) their intellectual advantage is greater in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic

(B) their intellectual advantage is the greater in skills underlaying reading ability and nonverbal logic

(C) the greater their intellectual advantage in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic

(D) in skills that underlay reading ability and nonverbal logic, their intellectual advantage is the greater

(E) in skills underlying reading ability and nonverbal logic, the greater intellectual advantage is theirs

23. Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by equipment. such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

(A) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that

(B) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

(C) equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

(D) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that

(E) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

24. Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

(A) that they believe is

(B) that they believe it to be

(C) they believe that it is of

(D) they believe that is

(E) they believe to be of

25. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.

(A) However much United States voters may agree that

(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact

(C) Although United States voters agree

(D) Even though United States voters may agree

(E) There is agreement among United States voters that

21e 22c 23d 24e 25a (ăn gian, sửa phát :D)

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Back
Bên trên