Essay - need comment

Nguyễn Lý Hiền Nga
(emNga)

Điều hành viên
today I gotta send my prep school's admission board all my application materials, along with an essay. please help comment on it!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Every student at Cushing has a faculty advisor. Your advisor will help you adjust to Cushing, be your general sounding board and source of information, and always your advocate. He or she will want to know your goals, hopes and expectations, as well as the influences that have most shaped your life. What do you think would be valuable for your advisor to know about you and why?
"I want to be in a place where it is cool to be smart!"
I read this sentence many times, in a school's viewbook, one of those I considered a place to go to. Then, I did not feel satisfied, did not feel enough. I want to be in a place where it is WONDERFUL to be a smart student, a workaholic, a hardly-controling-body dancer, a good citizen, a Vietnamese, where it is challenging enough, where it is wonderful to be ME.

It is my heart singing, my mind feeling excited when I think of studying abroad in such a private boarding school like Cushing Academy. It is my chance, my oppotunity, it is the gate and also the training for me the little girl in order to face the life and to build it. I imagine one day my country and other developing countries are just as wealthy as developed ones, the day when all of us are living in peace and happiness. And I would give my hand to the improvement. I would give my heart, my life. That is the most wonderful dream of mine. That dream would have its start there, in Cushing. I would study and work and experience and devote and do many things else not only for me but also for others. Cushing will help.

My Vietnam was through many wars to have the peaceful, independent, democratic and properous country today. I was born when all the wars were ended, but learning from history let me know what fighting would be. We fought for peace, for indepence. Today what I have to do is to fight for development, no matter with anything else or with myself. I have to be a fighter, for myself, for my country and for this life.

Cushing is the choice, I chose Cushing and hopefully Cushing would choose me. Everything would go well between us, me and the school. I can devote much for the school as I will gain a lot, knowledge and experience. After Cushing it may be Amhert, Williams, or Columbia, or some other colleges, where I will be majored in Goverment Management. Then MBA. Then going back to my dear dear Vietnam. Then build it. All may start there, in Cushing.

It is my heart singing là tiếng Việt em ạ.

Nói chung tất nhiên bài viết của em có cảm xúc nhưng không có gì unique cả. Chịu khó đưa câu khẳng định vào, nhưng câu như kiểu "hopefully Cushing would choose me" không hiệu quả đâu. MÀ đừng khai ra là mình ngó cả những trường khác ngoài nó (Xem lại mở bài).

Mở đoạn thì dài dòng, không đi vào vấn để chính. Ý tứ không rõ ràng, chưa có cái tôi cá nhân.

Đừng buồn Nga nhé, em sẽ viết tốt thôi, chịu khó viết lại em ạ.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
vâng :) em cám ơn chị :) thực sự mong mọi người góp ý thẳng thắn. em up lên đây là để biết những điểm mạnh/yếu của essay của mình để sửa chữa.

viết vội :D buổi sáng cuống cuồng viết không bị muộn deadline. however em sẽ vẫn viết lại essay này cũng như viết thêm các essay khác. mọi người giúp em sửa nhé ^_^

vừa lên VA, giật mình thấy cái essay này đúng là chẳng unique. how to show?

à chị Trang, câu khẳng định là như thế nào ạ? voice của 1 essay như thế này thì nên như thế nào? formal hay không? big hay không? em viết rất thật thôi, không có trick gì cả. nhưng cũng vì thế mà kết cấu sẽ bị lỏng lẻo, không chặt chẽ.

how to? how to?

----------

một điều nữa, ideal của essay không nổi lên rõ ràng, có thể bị hiểu là lạc đề, nếu không chú ý kỹ.

đúng là phải proofreading :(

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Nguyễn Lý Hiền Nga đã viết:
Every student at Cushing has a faculty advisor. Your advisor will help you adjust to Cushing, be your general sounding board and source of information, and always your advocate. He or she will want to know your goals, hopes and expectations, as well as the influences that have most shaped your life. What do you think would be valuable for your advisor to know about you and why?
I read this sentence many times, in a school's viewbook, one of those I considered a place to go to. Then, I did not feel satisfied, did not feel enough. I want to be in a place where it is WONDERFUL to be a smart student, a workaholic, a hardly-controling-body dancer, a good citizen, a Vietnamese, where it is challenging enough, where it is wonderful to be ME.

It is my heart singing, my mind feeling excited when I think of studying abroad in such a private boarding school like Cushing Academy. It is my chance, my oppotunity, it is the gate and also the training for me the little girl in order to face the life and to build it. I imagine one day my country and other developing countries are just as wealthy as developed ones, the day when all of us are living in peace and happiness. And I would give my hand to the improvement. I would give my heart, my life. That is the most wonderful dream of mine. That dream would have its start there, in Cushing. I would study and work and experience and devote and do many things else not only for me but also for others. Cushing will help.

My Vietnam was through many wars to have the peaceful, independent, democratic and properous country today. I was born when all the wars were ended, but learning from history let me know what fighting would be. We fought for peace, for indepence. Today what I have to do is to fight for development, no matter with anything else or with myself. I have to be a fighter, for myself, for my country and for this life.

Cushing is the choice, I chose Cushing and hopefully Cushing would choose me. Everything would go well between us, me and the school. I can devote much for the school as I will gain a lot, knowledge and experience. After Cushing it may be Amhert, Williams, or Columbia, or some other colleges, where I will be majored in Goverment Management. Then MBA. Then going back to my dear dear Vietnam. Then build it. All may start there, in Cushing.
Anh second bạn Trang là em Nga nên rewrite bài này. 1 nhỏ là tiếng Anh viết lỗi nhiều. anh định ngồi gạch chân thử nhưng lười quá nên không gạch hết. không có từ ngữ mà cả câu cú cũng chưa được chỉnh tề. em nên viết và nhờ một người giỏi tiếng Anh mà em quen edit cho.
2 nhỏ là anh cảm giác em viết bài này có phần để cho em tự đọc lại và thấy thích nữa. những câu như "such a private boarding school like Cushing" hay "it may be Amherst, Williams, Columbia..." nếu như đặt anh vào vị trí người xét tuyển anh sẽ thấy khó chịu... hơi khoe mẽ một cách không cần thiết. khoe không phải là không tốt nhưng khoe nên khéo léo hơn. hơn nữa, anh tưởng đã là boarding school (prep school) thì là private rồi? anh chưa bao giờ nghe thấy cái phrase là "such a private boarding school" cả.

Corrupted English ! (no offense though). You need to use standard English usage to write an admission essay. If you bring this draft to an native English speaker, they will say it makes no sense. It already happened to me before when I tried to use Vnese writing style in an English essay. Trust me, make your essay easy, and readable! You have thousands of ways to express your ideas instead of using short/ ungrammatical sentences. You need to remember that every sentence needs to have a subject and an object at least, your sentences most likely lack both or at least either of them.
Probably, my comment is too harsh. Please, do not take it too personally. Your ideas are not bad, although they sound arrogant, and untrue sometimes. You need to rewrite. And please use the spelling checker to make sure that you won't make any mistakes like "oppotunity" :D.
Good luck, I actually respect your dream.

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Nguyễn Lý Hiền Nga đã viết:
today I gotta send my prep school's admission board all my application materials, along with an essay. please help comment on it!

-------------------------------------------------------------
I read this sentence many times, in a school's viewbook,one of those I considered a place to go to. Then, I did not feel satisfied, did not feel enough. I want to be in a place where it is WONDERFUL to be a smart student, a workaholic, a hardly-controling-body dancer, a good citizen, a Vietnamese, where it is challenging enough, where it is wonderful to be ME.

.. hehe .. hôm trước chị vừa viết cái personal statement xong ... :biggrin: .. được 1 số chị giỏi tiếng ANh sửa cho nên đầu óc viết lách thoáng ra kha khá ^^ .. :D :biggrin: ... thử refine bài em Nga 1 chút nhỉ ^^ .. :D ..

.. tiếng Anh ko như tiếng Việt nên nó nhiều khi không có dấu phẩy ngăn cách trạng ngữ đâu em ạ .. (ie : times, in a school's viewbook <-- không có dấu phẩy ^^) .. mà 's ở đây có thể lược bỏ không nhỉ ? .. in a school viewbook ? ..

- đoạn one of those , chị không nắm bắt được là those này refers to what?? :-/ .. chẳng lẽ those refers to times ???

- Then ?? .. thay = however thì sao nhỉ?

- đoạn a Vietnamese chị thấy không có ý nghĩa gì lắm .. ??

- where it is wonderful to be ME : câu này có vẻ như là ko liên quan đến chủ đề lắm em ạ .. ^^ ..personally chị thấy nó thiên về mặt khác chứ không thiên về mặt academy thì phải ?? ..... ^^ (mặt khác là mặt gì thì chị không diễn tả được .. :-s ... cant describe in words .. :| .. :( .. just a feeling)

- like --> as

- It is my chance, my oppotunity, it is the gate and also the training for me the little girl in order to face the life and to build it <-- câu này không thoát ý lắm ... :lol: ...

- đã chance rồi thì không cần thêm opportunity nữa :D ... em nên ghi là chance to do smth .. ie : chance to widen my knowledge .. improve/gain/enrich my experiences on/understanding of... thì câu không bị hẫng ý,
- 'face the life and build it up' ... (không cần lặp lại to nữa em ạ ^^)
- chị được học thì tiếng Anh nó không có câu bắt đầu = And ?? .. hồi trước viết thế bị bà giáo viên gạch hết ^^ ...

- I would give my heart, my life : câu này bị cụt ý ... :| .. give my heart my life for what ?? .. to/to do what ?? .. :| ..đoạn này có thể dùng: I desire to devote my life/power to .....

- I would study and work and experience and devote and do many things else not only for me but also for others ... .. - câu này chị thấy giống tiếng Việt hơn ^^ ... advisor đọc nó sẽ rối, không bật được ý của mình ..
( not only for me but also for others --> how about : not onlyfor my sake but also for others'.)

- My Vietnam was through many wars to have the peaceful, independent, democratic and properous country today. I was born when all the wars were ended, but learning from history let me know what fighting would be. We fought for peace, for indepence. -->My Vietnam (??) went through a lot of fierce wars to become a democartic country. We fought for peace and independence, for freedom and happiness.
(btw, all the wars were ended --> all the wars ended/had ended .. dùng end là nội động tự nghe câu xuôi hơn em ạ ... :D).
.... giải thích tí này :D : .. đoạn này chị sửa câu của em ngắn gọn hơn vì đoạn " I was born when all the wars were ended, but learning from history let me know what fighting would be" không khớp với "We fought for peace, for indepence" .. nếu em muốn nói 'fought for' ở câu sau, thì câu trước phải chuyển thành 'lets me know what the purpose(s) of fighting was(were) (or smth like that :x)' .. thứ 2 là phía trên em đã dùng peaceful + independent rồi thì phía dưới không nên lặp lại nữa ... (có thể tại chị không thích viết lặp từ nên >.< .. :D:D :biggrin:)

- "no matter with anything else or with myself." ???? ...

- Cushing is the choice, I chose Cushing and hopefully Cushing would choose me. Everything would go well between us, me and the school. --> Cushing is the college (không biết trường em Nga gọi là school hay college :|) I want to invest my study in. I believe you will be pleased to have a student like me.

-I can devote much for the school as I will gain a lot, knowledge and experience. --> Iam going todevote (my talents) tothe school as I will gain a lot of knowledge and experiences (dont try to write an English essay with Vietnamese writing structure ^^ --- someone just told me last week)

After Cushing it may be Amhert, Williams, or Columbia, or some other colleges, where I will be majored in Goverment Management. Then MBA. Then going back to my dear dear Vietnam. Then build it. All may start there, in Cushing. --> đoạn này chưa biết nên edit thế nào cho hợp lý ^^ ... nhưng mà chị cũng nghĩ là em không nên đưa tên mấy trường kia vào ... đoạn này cú pháp messed up quá :D:D:biggrin: ... btw, I will be majored in ... --> I will major in ...

... chị hơi complicated nên sửa bài em Nga cũng quá in detail ... :-s .. :D:D .. có gì em NGa đừng thù chị nhé .. :D:D :biggrin: ..

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
ôi chị Thủy dở hơi :)) chị mà không chi tiết đến thế thì em làm thế nào với cái draft kia đây? :p chị chi tiết nữa được thì còn tốt hơn :D cám ơn chị nhiều lắm :*

yêu sis chân cong :x :* cám ơn cả anh Hiếu nữa ^^

tình hình là còn phải viết nhiều draft --> chọn ra cái có ý tưởng tốt nhất --> rewrite --> complete, right? :-?

------

mà nhà mình buồn cười nhỉ :-/ em nhờ mọi người góp ý --> "góp ý" thẳng tay :mrgreen: chứ còn gì nữa :p sao thấy cứ có vè gì dè dặt :-? (no offense, don't take it too personally, em đừng thù chị :mrgreen:... :p) trời ạ :p em nhờ mọi người cơ mà!

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
Được rồi thế để lần sau anh thẳng tay luôn... chặt chém mổ sẻ em Nga... cho quên đường về quê mẹ luôn.

:eek: :(( anh Hiếu thương tình em trẻ con mà nhẹ nhẹ tay cho ạ :(( không thì em cứ gọi là 8-} :-& :mrgreen:

đùa thế :p chứ có gì các anh các chị cứ góp ý giúp em với :) em cám ơn lắm lắm!

bài này nhiều chỗ nói chung chung,thiếu specifics quá (đấy là em đọc quyển application essay của collegeboard và đúc kết ra :D)

Nguyễn Hoàng Cộng đã viết:
bài này nhiều chỗ nói chung chung,thiếu specifics quá (đấy là em đọc quyển application essay của collegeboard và đúc kết ra :D)

.. :D chính xác .. chị cũng định bảo em Nga là em phải nêu ra goals ... tại sao muốn học ở cush ... sau này muốn làm gì .. nghê nghiệp or smth like that ... chứ mấy đoạn mà phát triển đất nước to tát quá :)) .. mình phải thực tế hơn vào objectives của mình .. :biggrin: :x ... bài của em nội dung thì hay nhưng không có ý gì trọng tâm về việc học ở Cushing hết ^^... nêu 1 vài môn em định học ở đấy và những kinh nghiệm/kiến thức/kỹ năng em gặt hái được về những môn đấy so far chẳng hạn (kiểu favourite subjects ^^ :x) .. như thế bài có chủ đề hơn .. ^^ :x

Chỉnh sửa lần cuối:
ah em hiểu ý chị Thủy anh Cộng rồi :D thảm nào, hồi trước cứ ngờ ngợ không hiểu tại sao có cảm giác cái bài này chưa trả lời được đúng trọng tâm câu hỏi.

VD có thể như là thế này: Cush là một trường rất chú trọng đến nghệ thuật --> học những cái xyz có liên quan (trong app của em cũng nhắc rất nhiều đến art :D) --> mục tiêu là xyz nào đấy :D rite?

Back
Bên trên